• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oil pan stuck

foodog2

NAXJA Forum User
for the life of me I can't get the oil pan out of my 92. I had it loose in an hour with the help of an air ratchet, and spent an hour trying to get it out of there. I have it jacked at the frame adn teh wheels are 6 inched off the ground is I assume that is full droop. I I think if I had about a half an inch more room I could get it. Also I think I have bigger problems than the rear seal. I had the oil changed and put maybe 5 miles on it and it sat for three days without running until I drained it now. Either the oil they put in is a creamy coffee color or I have a head gasget problem maybe. ANyway first things first. How do I get that oil pan out??? And it has been out before since there is a new style rubber gasket in there.

Put it back on the ground, pull the shocks and possibly even the swaybar. You **may** have to disconnect your trackbar if things are real tight still.

(Disclaimer: I can remove my oilpan with all four tires on the ground - 4.5" lift)

Coffee-creamy oil? That can't be good. Look at your radiator res for oil in there; you've very possibly got a blown headgasket.

Yucca-Man said:
Put it back on the ground, pull the shocks and possibly even the swaybar. You **may** have to disconnect your trackbar if things are real tight still.

(Disclaimer: I can remove my oilpan with all four tires on the ground - 4.5" lift)

Coffee-creamy oil? That can't be good. Look at your radiator res for oil in there; you've very possibly got a blown headgasket.

i love my 6.5" lift so easy to crawler under

that sounds like a headgasket the xj we had in my auto shop class, oil looked like that but we know it had a bad head gasket when we got it

Sawzall?

:D

yeah sounds like headgasket..what year is yours, all i gotta do is remove my exaust from my manifold to get it out of the way to drop the pan. be sure to clean it off where the gasket was to make it smooth for a good seal...but id replace the headgasket while your spendin the time and money.

Its a 1992. If I take the front pipe loose I might be able to twist ie out of there. It hits there, but I thought it would come out straight back. As for the head gasket if I pull the head should I hbve it decked and rebuilt? That will just piss me off. The manifold gasket and exhaust gasket are less than a week old and I imagine I would have to replace them again once I disconect the pipe and the manifold. My buddy told me thxj's could be a money pit. My cheap daily driver is costing me a ton to get on the road.

foodog2 said:
Its a 1992. [...] My cheap daily driver is costing me a ton to get on the road.

Rule #1: A 14-year-old used car is a roll of the dice.

Now, with that said... oil leaks on a 14-year-old car are par for the course. And they can be fixed "relatively cheaply". And they generally won't leave you stranded.

The head gasket is indeed something that's a more than you probably intended to deal with... but they are also par for the course these days. Jeeps are better than most (aka, happens less often, and is easier to fix, than many cars).

Den

I can get the gasket and a machine shop will service the head for 50 bucks. if it is cracked then it is $400 to get a new one.

Re: oil pan out now RMS stuck

I have tried the punch (not brass, no one here sells them) I loosened three of the bearing saddles, I tried a heat gun. It doesn't budge. Any other suggestions? Also I obviously got the oil pan off. No one ever told me I had to take the oil pump off in the pan to get it out. FYI I had to take the sway bar, track bar and shocks to get enough clearance. I am going to replace the oil pump while I am in there also I think.

Back