• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Herculiner interior in-progress... RUST INVASION!!

OnorOffroad

NAXJA Forum User
So I ripped out my entire interior today, and discovered a colony of strange looking beetles, and two different colonies of ants. I think they were at war with eachother...

.. AND A RUST INVASION :smsoap: The passenger side had sitting water in it (one of the firewall plugs was missing and tons of mud and water apparently got in and sat..) and there is a bunch of surface rust and I found a 1" hole on the far right side near the door opening. This is the only (interior) rust I have found.

Do I need to take a wirewheel or something to this surface rust?

3.jpg

YOu can see the rust below and on the far left of the image, the bright spot is sunlight showing through the floor pan.

2.jpg

I have herculiner on hand, and some pretty serious acetone/methyl xylene insane cleaner mix, as well as 60 grain sandpaper. Do I need to cut out the rust around that hole and patch it up?

Also, do I have to take out that sound deadener stuff or should I leave it in?
Thanks in advance

you are going to have to get down to bare metal to do the herculiner, so the crap under the carper is going to have to go.

WaXJ_Skier said:
you are going to have to get down to bare metal to do the herculiner, so the crap under the carper is going to have to go.
You dont have to get to bare metal for the Herc to stick properly. Roughing the surface up with the provided pad, and getting it super clean will work just as well.

But, with the surface rust, get it down to the bare metal. Ive never heard of anyone having an ant problem in their Jeep.:eek:

Here are the images again. So I have to remove that sound deadener material too?

63873722vz4.jpg

73214933wp6.jpg

Yea the ants would make an appearance if I had an open can of sobe. The ants were under the carpet nesting in that plastic lined insulate stuff, the other colony of ants was in the plastic bag insulate crap located in the right rear qtr panel.

When I herc'd my rear I scuffed everything up and covered the factory rubber stuff with the herc. If you use a brush to dab it on over the insulation I think it'll be just fine, I'm planning on addind insulation when I do the front.

I put mine over the sound deadener.

Just make sure and get it REALLY REALLY REALLY clean. Prep work is key, it must be clean, I can't stress that enough. Use Minerial Spirts or Actone to get it all nice and clean.

ok.. I have a great cleaning agent I will use. I am going to soap it all down, dry it out and then hit it with "Strip X" which is a mix of acetone, methylene chloride and xylene. I couldn't find JUST xylene..

yeah, the rust must be gone and the rest can get scuffed up and cleaned really good, the cleaner it is the better chances you have of it sticking. I personally bought a chepo bedliner gun to spray it on with, hope it works better then rolling it on.
I also had major ant colonies living under my carpet, however my jeep was sitting for a little over a year while I did work on it and the carpet was moist.

I cleaned up any loose rust and paint. I scraped the insulation back some to make sure I had all the rust. I had 2 tiny holes, I used fiberglass mat soaked with POR to patch the spots, (with the POR and Herc it is totally solid, strong, invisible patch). POR'ed the floor (not the tin foil) with 3 good coats, and Herc'ed over all of it. Worked out well.

Last edited:
please define POR

Didn't want to start a new thread.

I've used Por-15 on a ton of stuff before, but never on the interior and never with herc. I would always spray my bumpers/rails/wheels while the Por-15 was still tacky, which is what Por-15 recommends. when you guys are putting herc over the POR, are you letting it dry, or putting the herc on it while it is still tacky? If you are letting it dry, are you scuffing it first?

For those that are using POR-15 on your passenger side floor, how is it holding up to the heat? I used some ruberized undercoating under the rear seat and it has bubbled from the exhaust heat.

Damn guys, your passenger floors are that hot?? Good god, mine is warm after a good ride, but not hot enough to bubble paint or herc.....

BTW, POR does make a heat resistant paint.

my tranny tunnel and passenger floor u could prolly cook from it gets that hot i put sum big carpet floor mats and it helps keep the heat out but my inside is done with herc. and no issues with bubbling

Back