• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Offset Ball Joints?

DanMan2k06

NAXJA Forum User
'97, 2"BB, 30x9.5's...

Well I finally went and got an alignment today. I did a driveway alignment last night after putting on the ZJ tierod and draglink. Surprisingly the toe was off about 2-2.5 inches from the front of the rim to the back. Unbelievable. I got it within an eighth and then took it to the shop. Anyway, they squared things up and re-centered the wheel, but the guy said my driver's side upper balljoint was bad. He gave me a part number for a Napa offset one. I didn't know these were necessary? Why wouldn't I just get a standard one? If I replaced all 4 would I still need this offset one?

this would only be needed if you had to correct a camber/caster problem. he should've given you a printout of your alignment, so you could see if anything wasn't within specs.

Unless you suspect somthing is bent,you don't need an offset balljoint.Also he should have never lined it up with a worn balljoint.He is just trying to sell you unneeded parts and another alighnment.

Well I bought the on year plan, seeing a bigger lift in the future. So I can get as many as I want in the one year period. And yes, the camber is off about a degree. the right is .3, the left is 1.2.

The questione is, if the ball joint is bad, how do you know that a new, stock joint won't fix the camber problem?
I wouldn't install an offset ball joint unless I new the problem was other than a bad stock ball joint.

DanMan2k06 said:
Well I bought the on year plan, seeing a bigger lift in the future. So I can get as many as I want in the one year period. And yes, the camber is off about a degree. the right is .3, the left is 1.2.

When I bought my '99 the right side had an offset BJ.
I took it for a wheel alignment and was told that I needed more offset.
That didn't seem to be right to me so, I installed a pair of standard SPICER and everything went back to normal.

That's what I'm thinking. While I have the press rented I might as well blow another $35 on the other side and not have to worry about them for a while.

DanMan2k06 said:
That's what I'm thinking. While I have the press rented I might as well blow another $35 on the other side and not have to worry about them for a while.

Which press did you rent? Did it work well?

I was going to pick up a set like this:

http://www.tooltopia.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=10648

OTC-8031.jpg

dartworth said:
Which press did you rent? Did it work well?

I was going to pick up a set like this:
$260?
I think it is too expensive to justify buying it.
I'd try borrowing it.
Auto Zone, Advance Parts and O'Reilly's will lend it.
It costs nothing.

I've only used the one from advance auto, and it have worked like a champ on all 4. You have to throw down like $150 to rent it, but they give it back when you return the kit.

DanMan2k06 said:
I've only used the one from advance auto, and it have worked like a champ on all 4. You have to throw down like $150 to rent it, but they give it back when you return the kit.

You used an excellent tool. Which is more than I can say about the Harbor Freight one. On a previous thread it was reported that it works well for U Joints but cannot take the pressure of XJ ball joints. In fact I remember seeing a picture showing the HF tool bent.

Back