• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Snorkel W/ Fiberglass Flares?

AZCA jeeper

NAXJA Forum User
I'm racking my brain trying to figure out how to run a snorkel and fiberglass fenders (either Hanneemann or Ajax) at the same time. I want a rig that's "expedition" ready but still has a race look to it. What about having it enter the fender closer to the door rather than 1/2 way into the fender? I really don't want to make it myself as I think the Safari or Airflow snorkels look way better, but if I have to I can. Suppose I chose the Safari snorkel, what about heating the plastic cover for the snorkel to a point that it's flexible so that I could bend it to run flat along the top of the fender (that is where I'd make a long notch for it to "mold" into the fender) rather than on the side as it should go. It's hard to visualize, but I can't show you pics as I don't think it's been done before!!:laugh:

Maybe this is just one of those things that can't be done, but there just has to be an solution out there!:banghead:

Anyone with other ideas?
Thanks

You could cut a notch in your fiberglass fenders for some (most) of the snorkal tube to fit into then fiberglass over that and give it a built in look. I'll try to get an illustration up here later. to show you what I mean.

I'm partial to military, and the modular stuff they have to think up for multiple applications, like snorkels on Hummers.

So I am accumulating stuff to run a canister air cleaner on the passenger side. The intake air will run through the sheetmetal cowl, through the plastic cowl cover under the windshield, and a removable snorkel from there, up the passenger A pillar.

In the old days, lots of racers ran cowl induction from the base of the windshield because it was a high pressure area and still looked stock. I see it as a win for the street with good aerodynamics, and a win offroad where the snorkel gets the intake out of the dust cloud. I don't plan on getting that far underwater - wet wiring harnesses are why they call them Katrina cars.

TiRod said:
I'm partial to military, and the modular stuff they have to think up for multiple applications, like snorkels on Hummers.

So I am accumulating stuff to run a canister air cleaner on the passenger side. The intake air will run through the sheetmetal cowl, through the plastic cowl cover under the windshield, and a removable snorkel from there, up the passenger A pillar.

I like that idea better than fiberglassing the pipe in to blend it... modular is good.

Back