• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pinion angle shims without SYE

chris_amrein

NAXJA Forum User
I installed RE 3.5 lift springs in the back of my 1997 with a 4.0/5spd and I have really bad driveshaft vibes. I am going to have an SYE installed in the next few weeks, and I have read that it will need approximately 4 degree shims.

Can I install the shims now to calm the vibes down some before putting on the SYE?

sure, why not. that and a transfercase drop could cure the problem although a SYE is the best fix.

all i have on my 89 5speed with 4.5" lift are 4 degree shims and shackles with no vibs.

Thanks for the reply, that's good to hear it worked for you. I have been told when not running a CV shaft the driveshaft angles should be equal. I was worried that pointing the pinion up without a CV shaft my cause more problems than solutions.

chris_amrein said:
Thanks for the reply, that's good to hear it worked for you. I have been told when not running a CV shaft the driveshaft angles should be equal. I was worried that pointing the pinion up without a CV shaft my cause more problems than solutions.

well, it could cause more problems, but it might also help.

are you definetly doing the SYE?

for a temp fix, you could do the shim and drop the transfer case a bit by stacking washers under the crossmember bolts/studs.

Back