• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97+ Fog light switch

camarors8992

NAXJA Forum User
What I'm trying to accomplish is using the stock switch I got from a friend in my 98 classic to power a set of hella 500s. I did the search, and found this write up.

http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=947518&highlight=stock+fog+light+switch

I printed the page out, and did it myself with my lights. I'm using the switch to power a relay, seriously the identical thing as in the about thread. However, I get nothing. Using a test light i checked for power from the fuse panel, yep. Good ground to the switch yep, power coming from the switch, no. Do you think it would be a safe bet that the switch is bad or do I need the orange wire for something ?

The write up is good but the conversion can be made much simpler, the switch already has power, groung and the wire for the internal light. In my install I just tapped the switched power wire, I would start with a multimeter first and if you don't have one you should. You can just sit in the drivers seat and test the wires with the multimeter and solve your dilema that way.

Pop open the stock switch, they are known for melting internally, which causes the contacts to no longer... contact.

98XJSport said:
Pop open the stock switch, they are known for melting internally, which causes the contacts to no longer... contact.

Agreed. I wired a set of offroad lights the same way as the above link and had to replace the stock switch twice in the past 5 years. I could have use a cheaper and simple switch but I like the stock look.

Exactly I'm using a toggle currently, and just hoped that i could use the factory switch just for the stock look.

On mine after it failed, I took it apart and was able to clean up where it melted slightly. That allowed the contacts to move freely again. Who knows how long it will last :dunno:

Back