• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DAna 30 Disconnect conversion?

ReftonsRed

NAXJA Forum User
After making a few calls i located a 87 XJ w/ 44 rear and 4.56 gears. To run this ill need to match the front w/ 4.56's and I can buy the front axle with those gears for less than new ring and pinion and intall kit. The junkyard guy I talked to wasnt sure if this XJ had the NP242 or ABS (im hoping it does for the 297 ujoint and non disconect) My question comes then if the Dana 30 is a disconnect with the 260 series u joint is a swap possible and if so can I use the shafts out of my current 30 (98 Xj) for this. Also if it would save me time and money in the long run to just use the gears from this axle in my current one let me know.

Ok...let me make sure I understand, I'm slightly confused.

You found a D44 from an 87 XJ with 4.56 gears for the rear. How in the hell did you find it with 4.56 gears!?!?! Anyways, you're swapping that into the rear.

Next, you found, from a different jeep, a D30 with 4.56 gears for the front. If it's pre-95 and non-ABS, then yes, use your current shafts from your 98 XJ. Look under the FAQ section, you will need to get a different seal for the passenger side but other than that, easy swap. If it's ABS or 95+ then it is already 297 joints so just swap them out and call it a day.

I was confused by you saying you weren't sure if it's NP242 or ABS...I thought you were referring to the rear axle so I was going to tell you it didn't matter...but I think we're straight now! :confused1

ok sorry I shouldnt have said anything about the rear in that. So I can use my non-disconnect shaft w/ 297 U-joints to replace a disconnect axleshaft w/ 260 U-joint?

ReftonsRed said:
ok sorry I shouldnt have said anything about the rear in that. So I can use my non-disconnect shaft w/ 297 U-joints to replace a disconnect axleshaft w/ 260 U-joint?

No problem. Yes, you can do that.

If you want to convert your disco housing to non disco, you need to get the passenger side seal. I belive the part number is CR11800 or something like that. That is a napa # btw.

xtimmax said:
If you want to convert your disco housing to non disco, you need to get the passenger side seal. I belive the part number is CR11800 or something like that. That is a napa # btw.

Right...like I said, go to the FAQ section, under the Dana 30 thread and you can get the exact part number there. Good luck...but it's pretty simple!

redXJlimited said:
You mean early 30?
The calipers have a different bolt pattern I believe, but thats just a side note.

not a different bolt pattern, but a different hub size. the older rotors wont fit over the newer hubs.

Edit: read it wrong. thought you said Rotor. but yea, keep that in mind for the rotors aswell.

Back