• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE 5.5 Long Arm kit questions

carrlf

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I have a 2001 XJ with auto, 231 transfer, and 8.25 rear and dana 30 front. I have a couple of questions about the lift. Does anyone has this installed, if so how is your ride quality on the road, and is this kit to much for a DD? I was going to put monotube re shocks on it, will these be good shocks for this lift? Also is there anything besdies a new drive shaft and sye, that I would need to add to the lift setup at that time to make it better? I know I can do a lot of things as far as steering, and regearing and all that, but im just looking for stuff I really need at that time. Im trying to get my parts in order to try and install in a month or so. This will be my DD, and I plan on running 33's, will I have to do any fender trimming for this? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

It will be one of the softest and smooth riding lifts you can buy.
They are good shocks.
Dont waste your money on a SYE untill you have the lift installed, you may get away w/ a t-case drop. Each XJ will be different but id try it first and possibly save money.
You probably dont HAVE to trim fenders, but they will rub if you dont.

Get some bump stops that are the correct lenght. Get at least 1 locker. Invest some money into armor. Deffentally invest in a set of tools for the trail, spare parts, and recovery stuff.

I would defiently have do the SYE when you install your lift, yeah all xj's react differently to being lifted. Everyone knows that late models are the worst and at 5.5 inchs your going to need it.

Its going to be a great ride because of the long arms. If this is your DD then I would't worry about trimming your fenders yet, you probably wont need to unless you start flexing it.

-Alex

I think Chris @GATR is running the RE longarm kit.

The only bad thing I've ever seen/heard about it is that it seems to hang lower than the other LA kits. But RE makes solid products, so...

I run the RE 7.5 LA kit with monotubes and it rides like a dream. IMO, the arms dont hang low at all. Here is a side shot or two.

Aetna-48.jpg

1-1.jpg

DSC04083.jpg

carrlf said:
Ok I have a 2001 XJ with auto, 231 transfer, and 8.25 rear and dana 30 front. I have a couple of questions about the lift. Does anyone has this installed, if so how is your ride quality on the road, and is this kit to much for a DD? I was going to put monotube re shocks on it, will these be good shocks for this lift? Also is there anything besdies a new drive shaft and sye, that I would need to add to the lift setup at that time to make it better? I know I can do a lot of things as far as steering, and regearing and all that, but im just looking for stuff I really need at that time. Im trying to get my parts in order to try and install in a month or so. This will be my DD, and I plan on running 33's, will I have to do any fender trimming for this? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
I would look at the TNT kit.Better ground clearance,less complicated bracketry(RE doesnt work with most sliders)!

for as much lift as you have Chris, I'm sure it works great :D

your LA angles are probably better than what TNT would be at that height too.

With every kit there are going to be + and - ......no kit is perfect!

I have looked at t&t but there price is a little more than what I wanna pay. The cheapest I have found with shocks is about 2600 shipped to me, RE 5.5 is around 2050 with shocks shipped to me. Is it worth the Extra 600 dollars?

I'm running the RE kit on mine and I love it. The only extras you'll want are the SYE & driveshaft. Other than that, the kit is 100% complete. And don't let the "sliders won't work" comments bother you. Sliders aren't rocket science to build, and you can work around the x-member very easily. Plus the extra x-member plates tie the whole body together in the center for more strength.

Yeah I was thinking about making my own sliders anyways that have a unibody strengthner built in. I have a good friend thats a very good welder to help me with the project, like you say thats not a big deal. I just wanna get something thats going to last and be a good lift since im paying 2000 or more for it.

There are plenty of threads about the darkside of RE LA kits.Do a search or better a poll of what LA kit everyone is running!

Since I cannot seem to find the darkside of RE LA kits in the search feature, why dont you enlighten us as to what these "darkside" problems are. I am sure you wouldnt make a comment like this without having the info to back it, correct?

Yeah the search feature sucks,but its all there.Crazy bracketry using sheet metal screws,lower ground clearance,interference with most aftermarket products.Like I said,do a poll on LA kits.I think ypull be suprised!

I think I started a war!!!!!!!! Really I have done a lot of research and I havent seen anything bad about RE I was more worried about ride quality than anything. I know the t&t kit is nice and have read some good things but also read a couple of bad things about it, but really is it that much better for the 600 dollar price difference?

Crazy bracketry using sheet metal screws? Where is that located at, doesnt sound good to me. The only thing aftermarket I would think it interferes with is sliders, but you can make your own. I may be wrong though, im the question asker not the expert.

LOL-sheet metal screws. You really need to update your knowledge of RE products. They may have been that way a long time ago, but I installed my own RE LA kit, and I can assure you there were NO sheet metal screws involved :sure:

Back