• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Violent Bucking in reverse?

94XJ2door5speed

NAXJA Forum User
So i put a new slave cylinder and clutch master in the jeep on saturday and fixed the stripped motor mount so i cant figure out why the shifter tries to slap my knee when a back up. Motor mounts and tranny mount are only 4 months old. Odd, bucks as if the clutch has fluid on it.

94XJ2door5speed said:
Odd, bucks as if the clutch has fluid on it.

Maybe you should check into that. Might have gotten some brake/clutch fluild on it during the change. I think you are on to the problem.

So iff i drop the starter and inpection plate can i clean the flywheel with brake cleaner without taking the tranny out?

Shorty said:
is this a new problem since the work on Sat? If it's been ongoing, I'd also consider RMS leaking onto clutch disk

Rear Main Seal i thought as well but i do not lose enough oil during my 3000 mile oil changes for it to be a concern. I lose very little if none at all and if i pull the tranny i am going to put a new clutch in due to the fact thats its the original with 202,000 miles on it. If there is a sure fire way to tell let me know. This bucking in reverse started 3 days after my last wheeling trip which was the sunday before last saturday when i changed everything.

definitely worth a shot on the brake clean.

I'd say if you've got 202000 on it, it's due anyway. You'll see the contamination when you pull it out if that's the culprit

Not sure how you got 202,000 on a single clutch, WOW! If it was doing it in reverse and forward I would say it's time for a new clutch, clutch plate and throwout bearing, BUT, in your case, unfortunately it sounds like you lost one or more teeth on the reverse gear. Happened to me a while back, lost one tooth on the reverse gear and it bucked in reverse.

Back