• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stock Wheel and Backspacing

Sowell2000

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking to get new wheels for stock 235/75/15 tires. I've looked all over this forum and other forums for what backspacing I should get, but I havn't gotten a definitive answer. Secondly, I am looking into Cragar Soft 8's (very original right?) and since they are steel I was wondering if MPG would be signifigantly hurt.

Any input would be great.

Thanks,

Jeff

I belive stock is 5.25". With 235's stock backspacing is fine, the real question is do you ever plan on going with larger tires in the future? If so then you want to go with less backspacing.

Thanks for the reply. What exactly are the ramifications of different backspacing? I see from Summit that the Soft 8's are offered in 4" and 4.25" dimensions.

why would you want to go with less backspacing? THat would lead to more rubbing/less turning ability...are you simply concerned about rubbing on the fender if the tire gets too far out?

Would a 30/9.5 R15 rub on a stock suspension with wrangler Canyon rims (5.5 inches backspacing and it's a 15x8 inch rim)?

The higher the number with backspacing, the closer to the axle i.e. 5.25" (stock) sticks out less than 4" backspacing. 4" is what I run on 235/75/15 on 1" of lift and I have no rubbing. I don't think it would rub stock.

Rockjockphatts, 5.5" would put your wheels deeper into the wheelwells, so you would get rubbing during tight turns.

I have those on stock wheels and have no rubbing. I am gonna lift it and need new wheels as well, and also the dreaded tires.

I run 33x12.50x15 on 3.50 or 3.75 I cannot rember off the top of my head. The only time I rub is in extream cases like at full stuff while trying to turn. Also wheel spacers can aid in puting a wheel at the desired place so you dont rubb, then you can run almost ant wheel you like. I know a few people who run or who had used them before and they have told me that they have had no problems at all.

Back