• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What is normal oil pressure

Mine has a remanufactured engine about 2 to 2.5 years old and has 40 pounds at operating temp and almost 80 pounds cold. The paperwork that came with the engine declaired it to have 83 pounds at startup.
Don't know what the factory spec is for each individual year and what is to be expected as the engines age.

10-20 at warm idle, 40+ while cold and/or driving

Nothing (to my knowledge), Apples to Oranges, but: I had an 89 Olds Cutlass with a 3.3L that would run 40psi warm idle and pretty much stays there no matter the rpm, unless I was really ripping on it.

I've never seen my pressure lower than 20, and honestly I would be a little afraid. There are various factors that play into the pressure. For example, the oil filter may have some influence as to the number you are seeing. Either way you have nothing to worry about- my hot idle is around 35. It was around 40 right after I changed my oil and filter.

scottyrock said:
Thanks for the input guys. So if 13 is the spec and mine is 30 what are repercussions from it running that much higher??

"0" repercussions, You have very good oil pressure.

My 01 has crappy pressure, I just turned 100K & I get around 15psi hot idle with 15-50 mobil one (The same with 10-40) I run 10-40 in winter & 15-50 from April to October. I suspect I will need a rebuilt engine before I reach 200K.

Last edited:
Awesome. thanks for the reassurance. It's nice the way the "jeep community" helps eachother out. I bought this jeep about a year ago and it is my first. Everybody have a good one.

And remember the oil pressure gauge is know to not be 100% accurate. use it as a guide but if you want to know for sure hook up a manual gauge.

scottyrock said:
Thanks for the input guys. So if 13 is the spec and mine is 30 what are repercussions from it running that much higher??

13psi spec seems low for some reason .. at idle mine has always been ~40psi since new.

The 1991 service manual says...
600 rpm = 13psi
1600 rpm = 37-75psi
Oil pressure relief = 75psi

Mine is at 167K miles and runs at 45psi idle and 50-60psi ~2000 rpm or greater... with 15-50 viscosity oil.

The oil pressure on my 4.0L HO decreased and turned erratic at one point during its life... then I swapped the Valvoline Racing for Mobil 1 15-50 and changed the Fram to Mobil 1 filter and the oil pressure increased to 45+ and stablized -- but now it leaks.

Keep in mind the oil pressure sender could be giving a faulty reading. If your pressure is below 13 PSI, drop the oil pan and check the bearings and the pump pickup.

Also, 30 PSI is what I've always got on my 92 XJ and its normal. I used a Purolator Pure One and it went from 30 PSI to 50 PSI hot, 60+ driving. Thats too high.

As long as it normally reads at 10PSI or over, you should be fine. The most important thing to watch for is a sudden change in oil pressure-not the cold-hot engine temp change, but a sudden change at idle or while driving.

For the last few days, My Dash Gauge has been pinned around 80! It drops down a little when I let off the gas for a bit but only down to 70 or so and then right back up. Bad gauge? Bad Sending unit? Sensor? It runs fine, fresh oil, fresh plugs, no heat problems. ??? How to check oil pressure for sure...

PapermanJ said:
For the last few days, My Dash Gauge has been pinned around 80! It drops down a little when I let off the gas for a bit but only down to 70 or so and then right back up. Bad gauge? Bad Sending unit? Sensor? It runs fine, fresh oil, fresh plugs, no heat problems. ??? How to check oil pressure for sure...

dirty connection at sending unit or bad sending unit

I was out fishing with the kids this weekend and noticed my pressure was erratic, actuall pegging high when i jumped on it. THe guage has been pretty active since I bought it last September and I've been suspicious of it. Swapped the sending unit last night and sits nicely around 40psi +-5.

Back