• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 U-Joint Upgrade

Flyfisher

NAXJA Forum User
I'm in the process of fitting a Ford 8.8 to the rear of my '89 XJ (4.56 with ECTED). Will re-gear the front to match for now, but not with a locker or chrome axles. Want to do a "cheap jeep" upgrade up front with junk yard shafts using the stronger u-joints. Can anyone tell me the years I should be looking for to get the stronger u-joints?

As always...thanks in advance.

Flyfisher

I want to say 91+ or is it 96+ for the stronger u-joints? One of the XJ guru's can help me here, but it is after the year of the YJ that I'm sure they came with the bigger u-joints.

Buy some spicer 760 u-joints and weld them into the stock shafts.

As in, press the u-joints in like normal, install the c-clips and then weld the caps in fully.

They will be good for about 6 months if you Daily drive it, but they are good for 35 inch tires and some abuse from the stupid pedal. After about 6 months the grease goes away and you have to grind them out and install new ones.

There will be an ongoing debate about grease able vs non, but 760's and stock shafts have never failed me and I beat my Jeep like a red-headed stepchild on 35 inch Maxxis creepys and I have yet to break a shaft or u-joint.

weld the U joints in????

JNickel101 said:
weld the U joints in????

Yeah but just the caps. If you trust the clips that hold the caps on you're crazy. Not the cross just the bearing cups. If the U-joint goes south then the axle shafts are trash anyway so you may as well give yourself some insurance. He's only using the stock shafts anyway.

any year with ABS I got the bigger U joints out of an 89 with abs, just took the tone rings off.

Flyfisher said:
Can anyone tell me the years I should be looking for to get the stronger u-joints?

1989-1995 Dana 30's WITH ABS have the larger 5-297x U-joints. All 1995 and later Dana 30's have the larger 5-297x. Anything else has the smaller 5-260x.

spicer 760's for sure. mine cost 35 a piece. pretty cheap for the durability you get from them.

Hey...we've gotten off-track here. I know the x297 joints are better...but they require the companion shafts. I'm just asking about rebuilding the 260x joints. The "caps" have no retainer. Do I just press them out and press back in? Is there a retainer I can't see? Just looking to build spares...

Good god..... 16 months. Yes, there's a retainer. It's on the inside of the yokes, not the outside like a driveshaft u-joint. The clips are just circular springs.

Good god..... 16 months. Yes, there's a retainer. It's on the inside of the yokes, not the outside like a driveshaft u-joint. The clips are just circular springs.

What he said!! You would think a little research before asking a stupid question! How would they stay in place without a retainer......

oh i have gone to the yukon superjoints - they are a great upgrade but kind of tough to install in case any one cared! You have ti keep em lubed with a copper based lube that comes with the joints - more so than a regular greased U joint...

Back