• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Angle - Ford 9" Rear Disc Conversion

37sXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I'm building a Ford 9" (Big Bearing, Late) for my XJ and want to use disc brakes. I have done a ton of research and it looks like the Explorer discs are the easiest/cheapest way to go, but you have to re-drill the rotors if you want 5 on 5.5 BP.

Has anyone done this using other rotors? There are many rotor options with 5 on 5.5 that would fit the axle (late 70's F150, '94-'02 Dodge, CJ7, mid '90's Suzuki Sidekick or Geo Tracker, etc.)

BUT, will any of these work with the Explorer setup? It would be nice not to re-drill every time new rotors are needed...

Here's the kit I'm talking about: http://www.speedwaymotors.com/pl/35...-with-Emergency-Brake-New-Style-Big-Ford.html

why do you want 5x5.5? xj pattern is 5x4.5...

I run the drum brakes on my 9" for a few reasons:

1: they are stock for a 1/2 ton truck that is designed to tow things...
this means they work FAWKING AWESOME
2: I dont go mudding, so im not worried about them getting packed with mud
3: it cost me like $50 to turn my junk yard drums, buy new wheel cylenders, shoes, springs, and put new hard lines on it... parts for that rear drum setup are REDICULUSLY cheap...

so they weigh a little more than discs... and they might work only 70% as good as dics... but for the bolt on-ness and cheapness - it was the clear solution for me...

37sXJ said:
I'm building a Ford 9" (Big Bearing, Late) for my XJ and want to use disc brakes. I have done a ton of research and it looks like the Explorer discs are the easiest/cheapest way to go, but you have to re-drill the rotors if you want 5 on 5.5 BP.

Has anyone done this using other rotors? There are many rotor options with 5 on 5.5 that would fit the axle (late 70's F150, '94-'02 Dodge, CJ7, mid '90's Suzuki Sidekick or Geo Tracker, etc.)

BUT, will any of these work with the Explorer setup? It would be nice not to re-drill every time new rotors are needed...

Here's the kit I'm talking about: http://www.speedwaymotors.com/pl/35...-with-Emergency-Brake-New-Style-Big-Ford.html

I have the explorer set up on my 9" and it works great.. The redrill of the rotors is not real big deal. Im not sure if any of the rotors you listed will works since most of them have the center bore opened up.. honestly you can't go wrong with the explorer brakes.. just my .02$ worth.

XJ_ranger said:
I run the drum brakes on my 9" for a few reasons:

1: they are stock for a 1/2 ton truck that is designed to tow things...
this means they work FAWKING AWESOME
2: I dont go mudding, so im not worried about them getting packed with mud
3: it cost me like $50 to turn my junk yard drums, buy new wheel cylenders, shoes, springs, and put new hard lines on it... parts for that rear drum setup are REDICULUSLY cheap...

so they weigh a little more than discs... and they might work only 70% as good as dics... but for the bolt on-ness and cheapness - it was the clear solution for me...

ditto. cheap and big drums= good for me.

Thanks for the input. Drums sound more appealing than before, but I may still do the Explorer discs. I know the re-drill is not a big deal, but if any of those other rotors work right off the shelf even better! Again, if anyone out there knows if other rotors will work I'm sure many of us would want to know!

I've got the Mark IV disc brake stuff sitting on a shelf in my basement, and drums on my jeep.

The Disc brake brakets have to be installed on the axle shafts before the wheel bearings are pressed onto the shaft. This means that you have to have brackets on your spare shaft, or be able to remove and reinstall wheel bearings on the trail.

The drums are super cheap and easy. I can have them apart in just a minute or two. I spent less than $125 and got new everything: drums, shoes, wheel cylinders, hardware, adjusters. I have also had them in some pretty soupy mud, and haven't had troubles with them packing with mud.

37sXJ said:

Here's the kit I'm talking about: http://www.speedwaymotors.com/pl/351,2002_Rear-Disc-Brake-Kit-with-Emergency-Brake-New-Style-Big-Ford.html
Use 96 Ford F 150 ford rotors. You will have to grind about 1/16th off the axle shaft to have them set properly but thats nothing.

I am also in the process of swaping my 9inch to disc.

The parts I am using:
Weld on disc brake brackets from Ruff Stuff
'75 Chevy 3/4 ton calipers
96 Ford F 150 ford rotors
other misc crap

steelmen said:
Use 96 Ford F 150 ford rotors. You will have to grind about 1/16th off the axle shaft to have them set properly but thats nothing.

I am also in the process of swaping my 9inch to disc.

The parts I am using:
Weld on disc brake brackets from Ruff Stuff
'75 Chevy 3/4 ton calipers
96 Ford F 150 ford rotors
other misc crap

That the same exact stuff I will be using.

soxyfarmer said:
Hey, I just stumbled into this while looking for something else. Hope it helps.
http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-22334_9__73-78_disc_brake_conv__1_2_studs.htm

Thanks - I have seen this setup. I know there are several weld-on brackets out there, but I think it would be nice to have it all "bolt-on". The Explorer kit seems to have the best chances of e-brake functionality. The only downfall is a rotor re-drill (I need 5 on 5.5) - but a re-drill isn't a big deal.

After doing all the research, I was just thinking - wouldn't it be nice to use bolt on Explorer stuff and find a 5 on 5.5 rotor too? I realize that there are issues with bolt hole sizes and axle flange grinding. These are no big deal, but I'm wondering if the e-brake mini drums would even work on a non-Explorer rotor? One of my biggest concerns is the e-brake.

Back