• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Starting Issues

TsiDrummer

NAXJA Forum User
First off, I have an '89 Laredo.

It has been having problems starting, and I've determined that it is intermittently not getting spark. If I keep at it long enough, it eventually will start. I have had the coil tested and it is fine, I cannot find a place to test the ICM. It seems to be getting worse now that mornings are being more cool, its to the point where i havn't been able to drive it the past few days. But i just went out to start it, and it's 87 degrees outside and it fired right up. What could be wrong with it? Is there anything more I can look for? I see some posts referring to the CPS, but I don't see anything about temperature affecting that.

Thanks for the help!
-Eric

might not be temp but moisure level. but this is just a thought. wouldent hurt to change it out any way. getting old. my 90 takes 2 full revolutions before it will start.

the cps is where i would start. do some searches-there's not much point in me just repeating poorly what others have already said.

Last edited:
cps is about $100 at advance auto for a reman...but be carefull i just got one, and its my 3rd one from there..the first 2 were deffective eventhough it says tested on the side of it.

Living in Colorado, I would get the "High Altitude" CPS from tbhe dealer.
In the local dealer, it was $64.

Back