• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Custom Hood

jk333

NAXJA Forum User
OK, so i want a hood like the quadratec cowl hood. However, for myself on a budget that doesn't look promising since they just raised the price to $430. I was going to have a hood built using this hood scoop off of summit http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=GMK-SCOOP03&N=700+115&autoview=sku
The problem is the hood scoop is 53 inches long. im about 16 inches too short with my stock Jeep hood. The body work is no problem, I know somebody who does it. Im just kind of at a stand still here and wondering about other options. Obviously this hood was designed for Camaros and Novas etc.

the best and easiest way to do this is order the summit cowl induction scoop and cut the rear section off to your desired length and install as per instructions (or common sense ) dictates, i.e. cut appropriate holes in hood and then center hood addition over hood and holes, prep surfaces to be mated and install, but cutting down the scoop should be the easiest way to achieve your goals.

hope that helps

ehall said:
You could shorten that Summit cowl by cutting a chunk out of the center
why would you want to cut a chunk out of the center? so you have to make a pretty weld seam and use more filler than necessary? i would recommend you cut off the rear of the cowl induction scoop and dress the rear edge and reinforce as necessary

Jess said:
if you search someone here has done a custom hood with a cowl and a full write-up.

IIRC search "cowl hood"

I have seen the write up, but thanks. I thought it would be cool to have a Chevrolet Style Hood on my Jeep.

Thanks guys. I guess i never even thought about cutting some out of the center section. Thanks again for the help. :clap:

If I were going to make a cowl I would just get a spare hood at the junkyard and some steel plate. Find out how much cowl you want and cut out risers from steel, cut the center section of the hood and raise it. You'd have to add some plate also at the end of the scooped section, but it would probably be cheaper than that scoop. Just my take on it.

look at mine
DSCN0256.jpg

DSCN0356.jpg

DSCN0358.jpg

DSCN0353.jpg

it isnt a cowl but it works on the same line kind of

( sorry for the size of the pics )

Cheap cowel scoop from ebay. Needed it to be wide so it would cover the other hole in from a wide vent I had. Needed the new scoop to clear the V8.
2523955_82_full.jpg

Jimbo_1321 said:
sorry but that thing is so redneck...

but I guess if it does what it's supposed to...

to each his own.
red neck, yes!! cost only half a cutting wheel a few cents worth of tape, paint and little scrap metal!!! perfect for a trailer/ trail only rig!! why spend money on some thing that's temporary?? what does yours look like????

Fill the sides, delete the reinforcing strap at the back, and that's how hundreds of hotrodders have built cowl hoods. Still has the valley up the middle from the factory.

It's not redneck at all for your setup, and like was said, two fillers would just about finish it off for pennies compared to a commercial hood.

How'd you bend the riser section in front?

More info on that fiberglass hood! Weight vs. steel etc would be awesome...or I could just contact the dude who builds it! lol just looking at weight reduction across the board with all the goodies we add ( winch, skids, etc) Always like the saying "light is right"! worked in the military at least...
~s

Prepmech's hood looks really slick. He took a stocker and made it into a cowl hood. He did a very nice job. I don't have any pics handy, maybe he'll chime in.

Back