• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Taillight Converter for Towing a Trailer

Tommy4949

NAXJA Forum User
I have searched for about an hour and can't find an answer to my question. I bought a universal taillight converter for my 1990 XJ. I have been looking at schematics for the rear lighting in my XJ and it looks like it is going to be a pain in the arse to wire this thing up. Like I'm going to have to splice into wires on the left and right side of the cargo area. Is there a way to wire this thing into the factor wires on just one side of the XJ? Has anyone else wired up trailer lights to their pre-91 XJ that could give me some pointers? TIA

I am still pissed that someone removed the trailer wire adapter from my 87....

Mine was wired by tapping into the harness on both sides, so that may be the way to do it....

If I still worked for NAPA I could look up a direct fit harness, I don't know if we made one (direct fit, plug'n'play) for the xj's though....

Thanks for the replies guys. There is no "plug-n-play" for the pre-91s. They changed the wiring in 91. So I guess my only choice is to either wire it in at the dash and run it all the way back to the cargo area or wire it in to both sides. Oh well, I was hoping it would be easier.

There is a plastic grommet underneath near the rear bumper. I ran my trailer wires down and out through there and used some silicone to seal things up.

edit: sorry was thinking of how I ran the wires out of the Jeep. But I didn't use the easy, plug-in, adapter (just the more generic kind with the converter box) and if I remember correctly I was able to do all my wiring on the driver side (even the right turn signal wire).

Last edited:
mjaybird65 said:
There is a plastic grommet underneath near the rear bumper. I ran my trailer wires down and out through there and used some silicone to seal things up.

edit: sorry was thinking of how I ran the wires out of the Jeep. But I didn't use the easy, plug-in, adapter (just the more generic kind with the converter box) and if I remember correctly I was able to do all my wiring on the driver side (even the right turn signal wire).

didn't pay attention to the fact that yours was an earlier year... mine was on a 2001. sorry, my post may not be at all relevant.

I wired my '90 at the harness under the spare tire cargo panel, then ran it out a grommet in the quarter panel. IIRC all the relevant L/R Stop/Turn etc. is in that part of the harness.

Still had to use those 3M tappers. And there is a plug for the rear harness in the vicinity, it would just take more wiring to get there. I suspect the light harness companies just don't want to bother with an install that requires removing body panels. So they list the quickie universal.

TiRod said:
I wired my '90 at the harness under the spare tire cargo panel, then ran it out a grommet in the quarter panel. IIRC all the relevant L/R Stop/Turn etc. is in that part of the harness.

Still had to use those 3M tappers. And there is a plug for the rear harness in the vicinity, it would just take more wiring to get there. I suspect the light harness companies just don't want to bother with an install that requires removing body panels. So they list the quickie universal.

According to the wiring diagram, the wire for the right turn signal is located in the right side of the cargo area ONLY. That's why the universal taillight converter listed for the pre-91s has an extra long right turn signal wire. I guess I will have to poke around in there to see if there actually is a right and left turn signal wire together.

Back