• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

should I do the 97+ door swap

ehall

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I am thinking about next step in body repairs for my 91 beater and one of the big items is door repair. One of the rear doors has a dent at a fold that I can't reach easily, and the handle is a little sticky. Meanwhile the driver's door has multiple dents and dings, is not aligned properly with the A-pillar (I can see daylight past the new weatherstripping still), and has rust at the bottom of the outside panel by the rocker seam. One way or another I am going to have to replace at least one door (the driver's), and will probably replace two of them.

Given that reality, I am tempted to replace them all with 97+ models. If I can find some from a parts Jeep then it will be cost effective too, so that's not a problem. Here is what I'm wrestling with:

Old Style:

Pro--Has the vent window which is very nice for cool weather.
Con--Has the vent window which is very handy for thieves.
Pro--Carpeted door panel looks nice.
Con--Carpeted door panel is very hard to keep clean.
Pro--Padded armrest is comfortable.
Con--Chrome switch blocks are hard to find replacements.
Pro--Chrome exterior window surround is nice touch.

New Style:

Pro--Newer door panel would look better with new S-10 seats.
Con--No map pocket.
Pro--Plastic panel is easy to clean.
Con--Plastic armrest is not very friendly.
Pro--Power remote mirrors an option.
Con--Fair amount of wiring required to get the door integrated into my '91.
Pro--Larger mirrors
Con--No vent window.
Pro--No vent window.

I'm torn about this. What do you think. And does anybody have four doors with power locks and windows.

Last edited:
I would think it would be a waste of time and money (coming from a guy who took his power door crap out and replaced everything with manual door crap).

just my 3 pennys

seems like a lot of work for some plastic and to get rid of a little window which is cool anyway. id say look for the pre 96 doors first and keep your eyes out for whatevers cheap, if you find a good deal on some 97+ and dont care about the wiring then go for it, might make a nice writeup for someone anyway. otherwise all those pros and cons are personal preference. which do you like better? noone else can really tell ya that :p personally I like the plastic, makes things easier for cleanup, door maintnence, etc etc. heres another con for the 97+ though...door hinges = PITA lol..I just did a doorless mod and was wishing i had an older model for all 2 hours of it!

Last edited:
I have done a few 97+ door swaps on older XJ and MJ bodies. Things I found...

It is very nice not having triangle windows.
Door panels between the model years (84-96, 97-01) do not interchange easily.
I like the older door panels much better, they are much less chinsey (sp?).
I like the older door panels with the removeable armrests.
I like the older door panels because more of them have the map pockets.
Oh, did I mention I like the older door panels.

The newer doors are nice because they are...
A.Structurally much more sound.
B.Fit 6.5" speakers without modification.
C.Don't have triangle windows
D.Use a much better latching system, but I hate the new door panels.

If you can find a way to do it, mount the older door panels on the newer doors and go with it. I think it would be almost easier to adapt the panels than change the wiring around.

ehall said:
Another simple option is to get the existing door panels reupholstered with charcoal colored vinyl.
I stopped at the local upholstery shop this morning and they said $250 to do all four door panels, and that includes the material costs. That is about the price of a single good door so I am probably going to do that. I will get the black factory switch blocks too and get rid of the chrome blocks.

Back