• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The cost of tires

94XJ2door5speed

NAXJA Forum User
So what are the cheapest tires anyone here uses that work for what they wheel and drive on daily? College student on a budget looking for a set of 30's or 31's but cant really afford the STT's or wrangler's i want. Need something capable of driving 496 mile trips back and forth to CT. Have a friend willing to sell 31" TSL's for only $150 but bias ain't gonna last on trips like that.

how about some re-treads? Treadwright/Treadright I think is the name...?

Are retreads DOT approved or speed rated we have a local company that will sell me the STT's 31 11.50 15 for $69 a piece?

i have a friend with a 06 f 150 with STT's and they clog horribly. but i picked up the walmart special. they are good wrangler radials. 235 75 r 15s at 65 a peice

I bought 4 30x9.50 15s A/Ts from Tread Wright for $200.

http://treadwright.com/default.aspx

They used to be known as Hi-tech retreads. I've put almost 5k miles on them since I got them with zero issues. Gone on a 6 hour interstate road trip, aired down to 12 psi for 5 hours on a trail ride, and driven numerous forest service roads, all with no problems. The tires all balanced with one wheel weight each. Road noise is just like a BFG A/T. Mine are actually on BFG A/T sidewalls.

They are DOT approved.

There are those on here who will give the thumbs down to retreads, but for the money they can't be beat. I'd buy another set in a heart beat.

You might also PM Zacsquatch, I know he has a set of the mud terrain tires and can give you his take on them.

94XJ2door5speed said:
Are retreads DOT approved or speed rated we have a local company that will sell me the STT's 31 11.50 15 for $69 a piece?

Yes, most states, check your laws... But i would say yes.... 18 wheelers run them around farm country areas

Check Wal Mart, I got Wranglers 235x75x15 for $50 a piece. If not on sale go and talk with the guy running the "service center' and try and strike a deal.

I'm honestly surprised that since oil has quadrupled the cost of tires hasn't followed. I thought I read it takes like 3/4 of a barrel of oil to make a tire, maybe that was BS.

What is the size of a 235 75 R15 i thought that was stock height tires?

94XJ2door5speed said:
What is the size of a 235 75 R15 i thought that was stock height tires?
The 235's are about 29.5 inches, XJ's came with 215's and 225's so 235's work well even with 3:07 gears and a 5 speed.

Back