• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

making a snorkel, have some air intake questions

Akers87

NAXJA Forum User
im making a snorkel, but, i need to know what the different hoses are and what they are for and if they are important or not, thanks:

DSC00003.jpg

will i jave to close off this hole so water doesnt get in, or is it fine to leave it open, it has that gross cloth tube coming off of it that goes into this:

DSC00005.jpg

DSC00004.jpg

That first picture (if it is like a ford) is used to duct exhaust heat into your incoming intake charge. This is normally equipped on vehicles manufactured for sever cold weather. My friends ranger has one with a block heater because it came from Canada.

is jave Spanish for "have"?

in that first pic of the heat riser,you don't have to worry about blocking the hole on the exhaust manifold because it isn't a hole it's just a port that leads directly to the manifold.Stick your finger in there while the engine is cool and you'll see what I'm talking about.

In your second pic of the "flapper",LOL,What I did for my homemade snorkle(assuming you are going to retain the factory airbox) was cut the square part off flush with the airbox and then I took the "flapper" and siliconed it over the square hole in the air box....fit perfect and is water tight.
Let me know if you need pics....

In the third pic the arrow on the left points to the "octopus" as alot of people call it.I completely deleted this mess of vacuum leaks a while ago....it really isn't needed if you get rid of the EGR at the same time.The hose that you are holding in your hand is part of the evaporative system that vents fuel vapors from the charcoal cannistor to the intake,you wanna keep that unless you delete the entire evap system(not recommended)

The arrow on the right I believe is the vac line that controls the "flapper" if so plug it off or it could be the vac hose for the EGR transducer.....

Last edited:
94XJ2door5speed said:
That first picture (if it is like a ford) is used to duct exhaust heat into your incoming intake charge. This is normally equipped on vehicles manufactured for sever cold weather. My friends ranger has one with a block heater because it came from Canada.

I thought the factory installed those in early models as an emissions device that is supposed to cut down on pollutants and fuel consumption because the heat riser causes the engine to reach closed loop faster.I guess it helps in cold weater as a side effect......

I don't think it was just a cold weather option.....I think it is just old technology because there are many older vehicles that have this.

Last edited:
Back