• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Any one running 39.5's

xj8_8

NAXJA Member #1317
I'm running into a lot of clearence issues on the front. Did you do a lot of cutting on the inner fender or do you run long bump stops.

GREEN XJ said:
I'm running 38.5's w/9" long arm and cut about two inches.
You cut about 2 ins of fender, or inner fender? Im hitting the firewall and the back of the core support.

Im running 39.5 with about 7.5in of lift. My axle was move 4in forward and some minnor inner fender well trimming did the trick for me.

I'm running 39.5s with stock suspension and no trimming, I have no rubbing anywhere, I don't know what the problem is. Weird.

xjwheeler said:
Im running 39.5 with about 7.5in of lift. My axle was move 4in forward and some minnor inner fender well trimming did the trick for me.
Did you trim the inner fender in front or behind the tire I've already removed the portion where the battery was, I was thinking of cutting some out of the firewall, front lower floor.

Yeah I am hitting the floorboard with my 37 IROKs, but I dont have full widths... I am going to take a look at it tonight and see if it is worth removing, I know I need to cut out some of the part under the battery/air box...

88XJScott said:
Yeah I am hitting the floorboard with my 37 IROKs, but I dont have full widths... I am going to take a look at it tonight and see if it is worth removing, I know I need to cut out some of the part under the battery/air box...
I cut the battery tray/air box area all the way to the core support and moved the axle forward 2in's to clear 36 iroc's, it worked great. Going to 39.5 changed everything. Now they hits the core support & the floorboard both again.

I did cut the battery tray hump area out, but the battery is still able to be retained in that space. I have no clearance issues behind(rear) of the fender.

I have full witdh axles with H2 rims to narrow it up a little. The fenders are cut at the outside edge of the original flares and the 14in shocks that I use have about 3 inchs of uptravel. This set up works good for me but if you like speed it would not be the best choice.

I was looking at it tonight and I think I'll change my mid-lenght 3 link to long arm, move the axle forward a little more, cut some off the 2x6 rockers & floor.

xjwheeler said:
I did cut the battery tray hump area out, but the battery is still able to be retained in that space. I have no clearance issues behind(rear) of the fender.

I have full witdh axles with H2 rims to narrow it up a little. The fenders are cut at the outside edge of the original flares and the 14in shocks that I use have about 3 inchs of uptravel. This set up works good for me but if you like speed it would not be the best choice.

This sounds almost exactly like what mine's working out to be. Good to know. I'm gonna have to ditch that hump but I don't forsee any issues with the firewall/floor. I'm shootin for around 4" uptravel, 8" down. Around 109" wheelbase.

cage6.JPG

vetteboy said:
This sounds almost exactly like what mine's working out to be. Good to know. I'm gonna have to ditch that hump but I don't forsee any issues with the firewall/floor. I'm shootin for around 4" uptravel, 8" down. Around 109" wheelbase.

cage6.JPG
That looks good, tomorrow I will try to post some pics of mine. Do you have longarm on the front? How much lift

xj8_8 said:
That looks good, tomorrow I will try to post some pics of mine. Do you have longarm on the front? How much lift

How much lift...honestly I'm not sure anymore.

I'm running 3" rusty's coils and a 1.5" spacer at the moment. Plus the coils sit 2" off the top of the axle tube. And I've shed a bunch of weight so those 3" lift coils got a little extra.

FWIW the height to the bottom of the door sill is 30". A bone stock XJ on 225s is around 20 or 21". The difference in tire radius is about 5" or so...so I guess it works out somewhere between 4-5" total lift. I set the XJ up on jackstands at that height and made everything else work under it...sort of a different approach.

I guess you can call it a longarm setup.

sub5.JPG

Cuttin the floor board ain't bad. I did it two nights ago.

First I grinded down the pinch seam so that the floor board would seperate from the side piece

fendertrim01.jpg

fendertrim02.jpg

Then I pounded the floor in with a BFH and left the side piece where it was.

fendertrim03.jpg

I folded the side piece down onto the floor board and welded it. Gained probably 2" of clearance, now the fender is the furthest piece out.

fendertrim04.jpg

fendertrim05.jpg

Thanks for the pics 88XJScott but I will have to move the axle more. After looking at it some more Id have to cut to much out of floor.
Vetteboy, how long is your uca & lca ?
Here is some pics of mine flexed.
DigitalPhotos077.jpg

DigitalPhotos087.jpg

Kevin, it looks pretty good, but looks to me like you need about 1-2" more lift. Tell you what, my 37's are a little small for my lift, we should just trade tires and everyone will be happy.

xj8_8 said:
Vetteboy, how long is your uca & lca ?

Not sure actually...the planning I did put it at just over 42" for the upper and around 38" for the lowers. I forget how close it ended up being...see if I can measure tomorrow.

edit: Here's a pic from today, slightly better view of the lift/tire setup. I don't have too much room to cut out the floor on the driver's side because there's a clutch pedal there.

side.JPG

Vetteboy,

You have me beat by 1in on lift height with 39.5 tires. With the tries at 15psi my door sill is 31in.

vetteboy said:
Not sure actually...the planning I did put it at just over 42" for the upper and around 38" for the lowers. I forget how close it ended up being...see if I can measure tomorrow.

edit: Here's a pic from today, slightly better view of the lift/tire setup. I don't have too much room to cut out the floor on the driver's side because there's a clutch pedal there.

BRIANHO13 said:
Kevin, it looks pretty good, but looks to me like you need about 1-2" more lift. Tell you what, my 37's are a little small for my lift, we should just trade tires and everyone will be happy.

Sorry for dropping the the thread the last couple days, Ive been the hospital.

Vetteboy
How much pinion deflection do you thank you will have? Where are you going to mount the back of the upper? I put my upper on the right side, I noticed the other day that I've twisted the tube in the housing, so i'll add that to the never ending list.

Brian
How much lift do you have now to make 37's look small. Id like to stay low as possible and cut, cut, cut. I think I've got a fetish for cutting.

Back