• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dating tips... LONGER.

Davesxj

NAXJA Forum User
I hope this is not innappropriate for this forum section but I can't quite put a finger on where I should be. My logic for being here is this post has some modified tech but there is a bit of classifieds and a whole lot of nonsense. Basically I need some knowledge and some comforting words from some seasoned XJer's and I have no where else to turn... feel free to direct me elsewhere however.

To begin...I began my relationship with my 2000 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4x4 that was donated to me by my father (swell dude huh?). We started out in the late summer of 2006 with about 104,000 thousand miles on the ticker. I have since run the meter up to 154,000. For the longest time I was absolutely enamored with my truck... I'm sure most of you can feel me on this one. Constantly waiting and looking through catalogs til I had enough money to buy her a lift, or a bumper, or a roof rack, or all three plus more.

My first step toward having a formidable trail rig was some temporary mud terrains... enough to get me into some FL mud. This was the beginning of the end for the XJ. After filling every nook with the funkiest smelling mud on planet Earth... I blew the ol trusty 4.0. Nice big crack in the 0331.

From that point on(13,000) I've been running a Titan Engines built 4.6L stroker. The teardown and reinstall performed by yours truly. I was incredibly stoked to have been able to do the surgery on my own. However the total business took me an entire summer due to traveling, lack of proper tools, know how, and memory loss.. and many many cigarette runs. In all honesty, I've still got a baggy full of bolts and nuts that I didn't start with. Pretty damn comical... but she ran without them for a while atleast. When I was down to my last virgin knuckle, I finally got her up and ripping. I felt like I had finally learned how the engine and necessary components worked... we were closer than ever. She ran like a champion... she even made a few coffee-can exhaust Civics retire. However we've had a few stumbles along the way but nothing more than haywire TPS in the blizzard that just hit Ohio a month or so ago... common right.

That was until about 2 weeks ago. I had just finished my shift at work and was looking forward to a nice 20 minute session with her on the way home. She wasn't having any of it... no start. I let her be for a day and she decided to let me get one last cruise. Since then she either won't start (turns over for me but I cannot get her fired up to save my life), won't stay running for longer than a couple minutes, or overheats. When she does run she acts more like a popcorn machine(pinging? I found no carbon build up on spark plugs) on wheels than a 4x4. So now I leave her parked for days straight in undesirable neighborhoods hoping one day she will have disappeared. I feel terrible about it but at the same time she is a complete PITA.

Insert GNR "I used to love her, but I had to kill her."

So here we are today. I trailered her home from college to see if I could make amends. I checked all the fuses, all the sensors of the manifold type and checked the spark plugs for carbon build-up. In doing the latter I had to remove the spark plug rail? and its associated wires. I put it all back together afterward to see if perhaps it was something simple. Upon turning the key, sparks flew from near the fire wall... seems to me from the spark plug rail? Now she won't even turn over... all accessories still work though. The battery is a fairly new red top so it should be A1. At this point I am absolutely over this vehicle.

And now here are my questions. Would y'all keep the XJ and continue to pour time and money into its resurection? Or would you just sell it? There's tons of fish in the sea right? At this point I'm torn between old love and needing something f-ing reliable.

If I were to sell it... what should I ask for it? Since I'm not in any forseeable mood to diagnose and repair, of course I'd sell it as is unless there would be an enormous price difference. Titan Engines was even so kind as to not be able to tell me anything about the stroker parts used in my engine which is very frustrating during diagnostics. Anyways..the interior is immaculate. All my power windows work now.. Rear hatch is the best working item on the truck. AC is well.. non existent but only a rigid hose and recharge away. There are also a few dings and dents around... I would say typical of a 8 year old vehicle. No rust. Tires are easily 90% tread left. Aftermarket Class 3 Reese hitch. I'll even leave the stickers. Feel free to ask for anything else that would give a better estimate for price... pictures upon request. I'm just looking ball park here.

Now if I were to keep it... any words of advice? What tips do you guys have to remain sane in these situtations? Strategies for taking on a 50 foot wave when your still rocking floaties?

Any ideas what the heck is going on here?

Sorry so long. Thanks for the read and response.

Dave

Wanna try back with the Cliff's Notes version?

Robert

Edit: Ha! Great lazy minds think alike...

I made it to just after the first sentence. Did you have a question or something?

Robert 771 said:
"I'm not lazy, I'm energy-efficient..."

Robert
Did you hear that laziness is mother of invention????

Desperation is it's father :D

Davesxj, post up a more condensed version of your problem and we'll help you out ;) Right now I read it, and probably cause it's just so late... I got lost someplace in the middle of it.

Okay, I tried, I really did.

He's got a 4.6 stroker, w/ 13k on it.

This is the meat of the problem:

Davesxj said:
That was until about 2 weeks ago... no start... Since then she either won't start (turns over for me but I cannot get her fired up to save my life), won't stay running for longer than a couple minutes, or overheats. When she does run she acts more like a popcorn machine(pinging? I found no carbon build up on spark plugs)...

I checked all the fuses, all the sensors of the manifold type and checked the spark plugs for carbon build-up... I had to remove the spark plug rail? and its associated wires. I put it all back together afterward to see if perhaps it was something simple. Upon turning the key, sparks flew from near the fire wall... seems to me from the spark plug rail? Now she won't even turn over... all accessories still work though. The battery is a fairly new red top so it should be A1...

Would y'all keep the XJ... or would you just sell it? ...

Dave

S'at about sum it up?

Robert

There is probably a question in there somewhere.

You're having trouble reading it... what kind of condition do you think I am after typing all that up? It's probably not even worth summarizing at this point. This is actually how I feel about the whole situation.

That might make sense to someone tomorrow morning.

EDIT: By god he's done it! There's some other questions in the end.. not so much meat but still important. Like about not pushing it into the nearest rock quarry...

I read it. It looks like you have an electrical issue and are willing to abandon ship. Personally, whenever I have an electrical issue I can't diagnose, I go straight to the dealer. I'll pull trannies/engines/axles all day at home, but once we get into electronics, it goes to the dealer. I'm not going to pay joe schmo mechanic 500 bucks to tell me he doesn't know what's wrong and to take it to the dealer. Sounds like you have a good truck still, but nothing is going to save her if you've fallen out of love or have already found another.

Thanks for reading all that mess shavenyak. You are a brave soul and are probably right. Best to let the professionals take over. I just need to find a dealership that does some pro bono work.

As far as going back to a 4.0... I'd sell the whole thing before I pulled another engine from it. I do think I prefer the old 4.0 though. I could handle the occasional overheating that accompanied mine. Unfortunately I spent to much on making this stroker happen to turn back now.

What I really need are some pictures of a 2000 4.0 engine all wired up. Passenger side of the engine block. I've searched but nothing has shown what I need to see.

Any one willing to volunteer?

You need to find some local XJ'ers - see if they can help you out.

Also, try checking out your area Jeep Dealerships. Try to find one with an obvious modified XJ in the employee parking area. Start making friends.

Check the ground strap to the firewall? Did you see/hear where the spark came from? Any carbon clues from the spark?

Cliff note version:

Davesxj said:
2000 Jeep Cherokee Classic 154,000. I've been running a Titan Engines built 4.6L stroker. The teardown and reinstall performed by yours truly. However we've had a few stumbles along the way but nothing more than haywire TPS.

That was until about 2 weeks ago. ... no start. Since then she either won't start (turns over for me but I cannot get her fired up to save my life), won't stay running for longer than a couple minutes, or overheats. (pinging? I found no carbon build up on spark plugs)

I checked all the fuses, all the sensors of the manifold type and checked the spark plugs for carbon build-up. In doing the latter I had to remove the spark plug rail? and its associated wires. I put it all back together afterward to see if perhaps it was something simple. Upon turning the key, sparks flew from near the fire wall... seems to me from the spark plug rail? Now she won't even turn over... all accessories still work though. The battery is a fairly new red top so it should be A1.

If I were to sell it... what should I ask for it? Since I'm not in any forseeable mood to diagnose and repair, of course I'd sell it as is unless there would be an enormous price difference. Titan Engines was even so kind as to not be able to tell me anything about the stroker parts used in my engine which is very frustrating during diagnostics.

Anyways..the interior is immaculate. All my power windows work now.. Rear hatch is the best working item on the truck. AC is well.. non existent but only a rigid hose and recharge away. There are also a few dings and dents around... I would say typical of a 8 year old vehicle. No rust. Tires are easily 90% tread left. Aftermarket Class 3 Reese hitch. I'll even leave the stickers. Feel free to ask for anything else that would give a better estimate for price... pictures upon request. I'm just looking ball park here.

Any ideas what the heck is going on here?

Dave

Excuse me if I sound like a therapist. I sense that you are frustrated, disappointed and generally demoralized by your friend's recent illness. If she is your daily driver then even more so. Electrical problems are very frustrating and require a great deal of time, research, reading the factory manual, wiring diagrams and voltmeter etc testing. Better find yourself something else to drive. Then decide if you love her enough to spend $ or the equivalent of time (yours or a "good buddies'" which means a lot of beer) to find the problems. It may even relate to a mistake you made during the install of the Stroker. This is truely a delema. I feel your pain.

I'm pretty good with electrical and wiring. Can you give me a clearer idea where the arcing was occurring? Will it turn over? Do you have fuel pressure? Spark? These ar thing's we need to know. I understand your frustration,but you will regret selling you Jeep that YOU put alot of time and effort into. Get us some answers please.

Back