• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removing leaf spring bolt probs

stoneattic

NAXJA Forum User
I've been trying to figure out how to get the remaining piece of the front spring eye bolt from my XJ. It's pretty much flush with the frame and I can't grab it with anything. I've tried welding a bolt on the end of it and it won't hold. I don't know if it's because I suck at welding or my because my welder is only a small 120v Craftsman. Any other tricks to get that thing out?

thanks

When they snap I was told to cut open the floor above where the weld nut would be. Cut or use a punch or chisel to get out the weld nut then weld in a new one and patch the floor. I have not had to do this myself though.

My floors already out but thats how I'm doing it. bolt head broke off and the weld nuts suck. I was thinking of tracing the outline of the nut I will use when replacing the leafs on the frame rail, cutting it out and welding the nut right into the frame with some support on either side of it. The floors out so I have access.

Back