• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE/Tom woods sye help

jsk2052

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 01 aw4 np242 xj. I currently have an ome 2" kit installed on the xj with a t-case drop. I get vibes as it is now at highway speeds, not really anything to complain about but they are there... the problem is that I have the parts needed to go up to about 4-4 1/2" and I know I'll be getting bad vibes since its an 01. So I'm planning on getting a sye. I had thought about a tw conversion and an RE hack n tap but then a friend said that he needed a new rear ds because after moving from 4" to 6.5" his tom woods shaft was too short. So here's my dillema, my friend has a teralow kit which he'll be keeping and wouldnt work for me anyway since he has a 231 but what I'm wondering is if his driveshaft will work on my jeep if I install a hack n tap kit. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

EDIT:
evansds.jpg

Heres a pic of his setup if that helps.

Last edited:
As long as the yokes are the same on a 231 as a 242 you could check that in five minutes have him come over drop your ds and his and put his up in yours.

jsk2052 said:
I have an 01 aw4 np242 xj. I currently have an ome 2" kit installed on the xj with a t-case drop. I get vibes as it is now at highway speeds, not really anything to complain about but they are there... the problem is that I have the parts needed to go up to about 4-4 1/2" and I know I'll be getting bad vibes since its an 01. So I'm planning on getting a sye. I had thought about a tw conversion and an RE hack n tap but then a friend said that he needed a new rear ds because after moving from 4" to 6.5" his tom woods shaft was too short. So here's my dillema, my friend has a teralow kit which he'll be keeping and wouldnt work for me anyway since he has a 231 but what I'm wondering is if his driveshaft will work on my jeep if I install a hack n tap kit. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

EDIT:
evansds.jpg

Heres a pic of his setup if that helps.

That shaft will not work with the H&T the way it is. The H&T puts a flange on the T case and you need a flange on the drive shaft. You could buy a part for about 40-60 bucks to convert it to work though. After that you need to worry about length.

Spicer part# 211229x. I usually get it from my local Parts Plus, I think they get it from Six states.

On Tom's site, if you scroll down, that first picture is what a H&T will sort of look like. If you scroll lower, the second picture with the many flange adaptors and u-joints. Thats what the part # I gave you looks like.
http://www.4xshaft.com/SD231.html

clint said:
On Tom's site, if you scroll down, that first picture is what a H&T will sort of look like. If you scroll lower, the second picture with the many flange adaptors and u-joints. Thats what the part # I gave you looks like.
http://www.4xshaft.com/SD231.html

Diddo on what Clint say. If I remember correctly the drive shaft lenght should work but not too sure. Also you need to check which rear axle you have because when I went from a 35 to a 44 the nose was longer on the 44, not to sure if the 8.25 has any differences.

Back