• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Does anyone else's XJ sound Supercharged take 2! Now with video!

What are you running for exhaust? I'm using a Summit Turbo Performance muffler, doesn't seem as loud as yours, does "drone" though at cruising speed.

The exhaust came off a LOT louder in the video than it actually is. It's actually very tolerable on the inside. Muffler wise, it's a dual resonator setup with a Dynomax Ultra Flo X dual in dual out.

Its kinda tough to hear the supercharger noise, and I do hear it at 5:30. My only educated guess to that noise would be its a some sort of bearing not getting 100% proper lubrication. What oil do you run? Maybe its getting too thin because your heating it up a lot. Does it do this all of the time when driving normal. Try not romping on it for 5 minutes and see what happens. Nice rims btw.

I too hear it right around 5:30, I have no clue....

I would be wary of engine bearing failure.....

Like the exhaust tone, sounds ALOT like the Borla thats on my 87.....

you sure like flooring that thing eh? do you normally drive it in that RPM range? are you talking about the high pitched whining sound towards the end of the vid?

alot of Qs i know but it sounds like a spun main or cam bearing. motors that spend thier life on the high side of the tach dont last long. sounds like a beast tho, like a nascar or something lol.

GrimmJeeper said:
you sure like flooring that thing eh? do you normally drive it in that RPM range? are you talking about the high pitched whining sound towards the end of the vid?

alot of Qs i know but it sounds like a spun main or cam bearing. motors that spend thier life on the high side of the tach dont last long. sounds like a beast tho, like a nascar or something lol.

Seems to me like he doesnt' drive it around at high RPM, just takes off with high RPM launches. Sure it's not the best for it, but as long as you don't crusie at 4500 RPM I think the motor can handle it. I've heard that the 4.0L can cruise at 3000 RPM all day long. Not sure how much truth there is to it, but I'm sure I've heard 5-90 say it and he knows his stuff.

You should fix your turn signals....those tail light boxes must not be wired up right.

:D

Have you checked to make sure that the throttle body spacer is still torqued down? It sounds like an air leak in the intake to me.

Haha I forgot to disclaimer not to make fun of my blinkers lol. It's because of the LED tail lights I haven't replaced my flasher. And I know the noise isn't in the motor cause this is a new motor and my old one made the exact same noise so I'm think it's just a dry bearing on one of the drive assemblies. No biggy. And I normally don't drive like that even though I do think the motor could take it. And the pillar gauge is an A/F gauge. Also, I'm aware of the TBS whistle. Like I've said before, the combination of the whistle, "supercharger" whine, and my exhaust... tends to turn some heads :D

If you keep Revving it like that with no load on the motor , you will need that Camera to show us where the Rods came out the side of the block !! NOT KIDDING .

REPOXP777 said:
If you keep Revving it like that with no load on the motor , you will need that Camera to show us where the Rods came out the side of the block !! NOT KIDDING .

Surrrrre. 200k here, all rods still inside engine amazingly.

goodburbon said:
Surrrrre. 200k here, all rods still inside engine amazingly.

Ya, I'm wondering who put that idea in your head that you can't rev a motor without destroying it...
Shit, drivin like grandma and grandpa on their way to the County Kitchen buffet all the time's no fun at all! :D

PurpleCherokee said:
Ya, I'm wondering who put that idea in your head that you can't rev a motor without destroying it...
Shit, drivin like grandma and grandpa on their way to the County Kitchen buffet all the time's no fun at all! :D

Plus your valves never rotate, leading to premature death of your engine due to lots of carbon buildup.

Back