• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Chrysler 8.25 pinion angle

XJ AV8R

NAXJA Forum User
First off, my specs so you all know where I am:

Skyjacker 3" lift, AAL in the rear
No SYE
AX-15/NP231
stock NP231 to D35 driveline

I just picked up a 2001 Chrysler 8.25 29 spline (with springs attached) to swap with my Dana 35. The axle came out of a 2WD Cherokee, auto, 4.0L. I was checking it out more closely after getting it home and it looks like the axle is set on the springs with a pinion angle that points "up" more than my D35. I didn't think about it much at the time, but when I was pulling the axle out of the junkyard vehicle I did notice that the transmission output shaft appeared to have a flange that the driveline mounted to rather than any kind of slip yoke (I didn't look THAT closely:banghead: ).

My question: Is the factory set pinion angle different on a 2WD compared to a 4WD?? I hope I am just seeing things, but it sure looks that way. I couldn't find any information about it on NAXJA (rare!) so maybe I am just seeing things! Anybody have any experience with this?

Thanks.

The pinion angle should be flush with the output shaft for the transmission. The only time you are supposed to have the pinion pointed at the output is if you have a slip yoke eliminator.

Another difference will be the driveshaft for the 2wd is longer.

But I doubt it had a slip yoke eliminator being a 2wd. I wouldn't see the point especially if it wasn't lifted!

its not gonna have a transfer case, so where's the slip yoke to eliminate? the DS will just attach directly to the transmission....ya?

also, the 8.25 is a very low pinion...i wanna say the D35 is a high - or at least higher - pinion than the 8.25

I hope you are right Blaine. That would mean that it is the same orientation as the 4x4. I'm coming up empty in my research. I think I will just slap it in and see what happens. It may be that without the springs compressed it just doesn't look right sitting on my garage floor. The dealer can't even give me anything concrete, so it seems it is the same as the 4x4. I was trying to eliminate unforeseen problems...haha, that's a good one...I just broke off two rusty bolts while replacing my transmission mount. That was supposed to be EASY, right? Later guys, thanks for the feedback.

Back