• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Check Engine light & Air Bag light

jadee42

NAXJA Forum User
Have a 1999 Sport four door with 5 speed. The thing runs great but sometimes just criusing down the road the air bag light comes on, then the check engine light, then my tach and speedo quite. Moments later or sometimes minutes later everything starts working again. This may happen often or sometimes won't happen for weeks. Whats up with this???? Also the readout for the odomater reads "no bus"

Last edited:
Sounds like the common factor is the instrument panel, shorting.
Secondary; body control module.
When symptoms occur, slap the top of the IP to check foe a response.

had the same problem in my TJ... i just popped off my gauge panel, brushed off the connections, and reconnected everything (adding some Di-electric grease also)

Had the same problem in my '98 virtually as I was driving it out of the dealership. Turned out to be a TSB fix, so got it done as condition of sale.:laugh2: I talked to the mechanic and he said it was a connection issue inside the instrument panel.

drifto77 said:
Dirty connection, pull the gauge cluster, unplug, clean the connection and replace.

X2!
did it too me, still does sometimes on bumpy roads and wheeling, a good whack always works for me
mine is also a 99xj 5spd

P.S welcome to NAXJA

This is a COMMON occurrence on 97-01 XJs and 97-?? TJs...
The problem is caused by minute black spots of oxidation on the contacts of the two buss connectors that are behind the instrument cluster and the pins sticking out the back of the instrument cluster...

I have had this problem on my 98 since shortly after purchasing in October 1997. The Jeep has had the TSB performed and brought back to the dealer several times, I personally have removed and reinstalled the cluster 12 times and my friend performed his own fix to the buss and pins and STILL the problem comes back....
Even cleaning the metal surfaces and applying dielectric grease has not permanently taken the problem away....

The Jeep mechanic (long time friend) and I were discussing this a couple weekends ago.... The conclusion we come to is that since this problem is so wide spread in the Jeeps it must be metal that the buss connector and pins are made of. They must be missing something while metals is being mixed.

Back