• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

After Fender Trimming

Wayne Sihler

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Just trimmed the front fenders and relocated the flares up to the crease in the fender.Now- what to do with the inner liner ? Re fit it ,leave it out,what have you used to fill the lower portion at the rear? Here in the east we have salt and mud that I would not want to get back into the door hinge area.
Thanks,

Wayne

I still have mine in but it looks stupid even after trimming and zip tieing them up, I also have a pool noodle in there

I've been running with nothing for 2 plus years with no ill effects

I stuffed pool noodles in to prevent mud/ice/crud from getting in the door hinge area. Secured the noodles with expandable foam and painted them black. So far so good.

i sprayed everthing down with tremclad and screwed on a peice of sheet metal i had lying around to act as a new wheel well lining, looks good and works well, a friend did the pool noodles though, works really well, plus you can pull them out and wash the mud down with pressurewasher if you want to

How did you get the flair reattached to the flat part of the fender. Did you just drill holes for the stock brackets?

obsolete said:
How did you get the flair reattached to the flat part of the fender. Did you just drill holes for the stock brackets?

Yes,moved the mounting holes up the necessary amount.Trimmed the front of the flare even with the top of the bumper,rear of the flare-even with crease that is in the fender,doors ect.

I did remove the short piece of rubber trim on the back of the fender,all the trim pieces were off the other side anyway(pass side).

I did take some pics of the trimming but none of the finished job.Still have not attached the lower portions of the flares.Need a 90* adapter on the drill to punch some holes.

Wayne

NickThePyro said:
Anybody have pics of pool noodles in there?
Search around using the term "pool noodles", I've seen them on here before. You basically wash the wheelwell, stuff the noodles in to measure how long you want them, pull them out and trim to length, stuff them back in and seal the edges with expanding foam. Paint it all flat black, unless you like purple/green/yellow wheelwells.

Wayne Sihler said:
Yes,moved the mounting holes up the necessary amount.Trimmed the front of the flare even with the top of the bumper,rear of the flare-even with crease that is in the fender,doors ect.

I did remove the short piece of rubber trim on the back of the fender,all the trim pieces were off the other side anyway(pass side).

I did take some pics of the trimming but none of the finished job.Still have not attached the lower portions of the flares.Need a 90* adapter on the drill to punch some holes.

Wayne

So the OEM mount brackets will work even if they are flat on the fender with the flair? I thought I was gonna run into problems because the flair sits on the flat part of the fender while the brackets are extended about an inch away from the flat part of the fender on that rim that lines the wheel well.

In case you twist off the nuts(10 mm) the stud is 10-32,and the bracket is available #55003234 and this fits both sides.retail $15

Took some photos of the finished product,will post later.

Wayne

I made aluminum inserts for my wheel wells after I trimmed the fenders and relocated the stock flares. I installed them using rivets and small brackets.

wheelwell015a.jpg

wheelwell013a.jpg

wheelwell003.jpg

Jeepsloth said:
I made aluminum inserts for my wheel wells after I trimmed the fenders and relocated the stock flares. I installed them using rivets and small brackets.

You would need to make some modifications to that design if you were to fold over your pinch seam

I probably will when I go from 33's to 35's. It shouldn't be a problem to modify the brackets though.

Back