• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mounted LeBaron Hood vent Pic request

Sorry I don't have any pics, but I did just install the Lebaron vents last weekend. I made the bracket out of some galvanized angle brackets that were 1.5"x1.5" to start with. All I had to do was to cut on of the sides to about 5/16" and drill a hole for a bolt on the uncut side. I made eight of these brackets and bolted them to the underhood side of the jeep and the cut side is what pulls the Lebaron hood vents tight on the hood. It worked great and the brackets took no time compared to the hood cutting. My advice is to cut fast on one line and then move to a different line so you can reduce the amount of heat and in doing so reduce the amount of paint that gets messed up near the cutting line.

I did all this with the hood off since it only takes about two minutes to remove the hood and to put it back when you are done.

I know you wanted pics, but I hope this helps.

HoodVents014.jpg

I just used aluminum angle from Home Depot. I cut it and drilled holes for the bolts. I don't remember what size the angle was. I think it was 1/2X1/4.

On a related note, what's more efficient, mounting the vents along the back edge parallel to the windshield line, or mounting them parallel to the hood centerline halfway from center of hood to the windshield? I've seen them mounted both ways, what are the pros and cons?

I went with mounting them on the back edge simply because it was easier to make sure they were aligned the same. I pulled them all the way back to the edge, and then brought them forward a quarter of an inch to keep them of the back line. I tried the centerline thing, but since the Lebaron vents aren't exactly square on the outside edge I was worried that my measurements would be off. Both ways should work fine though. Have fun!

The first cut into your pretty hood will be the hardest!!!

DaJudge said:
HoodVents014.jpg

I just used aluminum angle from Home Depot. I cut it and drilled holes for the bolts. I don't remember what size the angle was. I think it was 1/2X1/4.

i like that idea....i might have to borroe it :d

Covers and insulation re-installed

Had to modify the right side one for clearance but otherwise they work good and keep the rain out.

Jeep95a012.jpg

hoodvent001a.jpg

I like those covers.

Darn, I have some sitting in the garage, the hood is just about lost all it's clear coat, and now the covers solve a lot of the rest (i.e., I lost a TPS from a 1/4" snowfall with the hood up, I ain't letting it get wet again. )

Did I mention the Eastwood flanging pliers to countersink the lip around the louvers?

Oh yeah!

i do not have a number but u can see the heat pour out on slow trail rides and sitting in traffic... i also have removed the rear seal, put half inch spacers on hood to help underhood temps... this mod is very effective for the small engine bay of the xj... also i leave mine open and have had no problems with rain on the engine

ok good. here in FL MY XJ like to over heat alot....would it be beneficial to hardwire the aux fan so it can runn all the time?? i would think that would help push heat out of the vents

:wave:
Jeepsloth, where did you get those covers? I take they keep the water away from the critical electronics; Where do they drain the water? I was looking for a drain tube or something.

I made them with .020 thousands aluminum. :)
They don't let the water come straight in and help direct the air when the Jeep is moving. Even in a downpour very little gets in when the Jeep is sitting still.

Jeepsloth said:
Covers and insulation re-installed

Had to modify the right side one for clearance but otherwise they work good and keep the rain out.

hoodvent001a.jpg
that looks like a great idea! but it appears to me that they won't keep the rain out, but instead divert the incoming water to other parts of the engine compartment. is this setup better because it keeps most of the water off of the coils?

altierior said:
that looks like a great idea! but it appears to me that they won't keep the rain out, but instead divert the incoming water to other parts of the engine compartment. is this setup better because it keeps most of the water off of the coils?

Believe me your not going to have to worry about stuff getting in there and messing with your underhood sensors and other electronics. I've had this thing sitting still, and driving in monsoon type downpours, at the carwash and so on without any problems.

Just embrace the saw and make them big holes in your hood!!

Back