• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Yes, I've searched. 2.5 to I6 conversion.

97CountryXJ

NAXJA Forum User
A buddy of mine has recently acquired an 84 Cherokee with a 2.5, auto, not sure of the transfer case or axles, didn't really have time to look.
Real clean ride, he wants to know what would be involved to convert it to a I6. Not necessarily a 4.0, but possibly an older Jeep straight 6.

Any info, or points in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

XJduality said:
A buddy of mine has recently acquired an 84 Cherokee with a 2.5, auto, not sure of the transfer case or axles, didn't really have time to look.
Real clean ride, he wants to know what would be involved to convert it to a I6. Not necessarily a 4.0, but possibly an older Jeep straight 6.

Any info, or points in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Curt,
With the 4.0 anyway, you have to beat the firewall back and change the front hood latch/front crossmember area. I know the motor mounts also have to be changed around but I forget how severe the surgery on those is. Contact old_man on here, he did this to his mid-80s XJ. I remember him saying it was a ton of sheet metal work.

I know this sounds sacrilegious, but try swapping in a GM 60-degree V6 (RWD/4WD 3.1L or 3.4L out of an S-series or an F-body.) It's going to be easier - since no engine bay mods will be required.

The Jeep sixes all mount pretty much the same (all the AMC sixes, in fact - 199/232/258/242ci,) but the front clip was lengthened and the firewall modified in 1987 to accommodate the longer 242ci block. It can be done, but it's going to be work.

I wondered about the GM 2.8/3.1/3.4 V-6 conversion and mentioned something about the bell housings being close if not the same. A 2.8 carbed would probably suit his purpose as he does not want to have to completely convert the whole electrical and harnesses over.

Thanks again for the replies fellas.

XJduality said:
I wondered about the GM 2.8/3.1/3.4 V-6 conversion and mentioned something about the bell housings being close if not the same. A 2.8 carbed would probably suit his purpose as he does not want to have to completely convert the whole electrical and harnesses over.

Thanks again for the replies fellas.

I'm not sure offhand (should be in my notebooks...) but the RWD V6-60 and the AMC I4 patterns are, I think, the same.

Doesn't matter overmuch - find an S-series donor (preferably after 1990) and score a V6-60, THM700R4, and transfer case (I don't recall which) all at once. Problem solved.

(Edit - make sure it's the 700R4, and not the 4L60E. They're essentially the same box, but the 4L60E is electronically controlled.)

do not

and i repeat

ABSOLUTELY DO NOT tell him to swap the 2.5 for a 2.8

the 2.5, even the carb'd one in 84, still flat out out-performs the 2.8, whether the 2.8 be carb'd or injected.

replacement with a 3.4 chevy with F.I. is a smart bet. OR another suggestion....swap it to a 91 multi-port fuel injection 4 cylinder system.

as it happens, i have the complete wiring harness, fuel pump and tank, fuel lines, rail, intake, and accessories for a 2.5 MPFI engine in my 93 xj that i'm parting out (scored all 4 cylinders, body isn't worth the time invested in the engine rebuild since i can use the axles in my comanche)

anyways, those are the two swap options.

the other ones are to just leave it be and drive it, or leave it be and sell it

While chatting with some old time Jeep guys last night, I mentioned something about the engines, bell housings and transmissions being shared with GM. Seems to be fair share of work to convert engines/trans/transfer case over including wiring. I dont think that selling is exactly an option.

I did show off the NAXJA website to the new XJ owner this morning. Shameless promotion.

Thanks for all the replies guys!!!

Last edited:
i've got a multi-port fuel injection kit for the xj. out of a 93 cherokee, this is EVERYTHING necessary to fuel inject it.

jeepcomj said:
do not

and i repeat

ABSOLUTELY DO NOT tell him to swap the 2.5 for a 2.8

I didn't think I had. I had a Chevvy Cavalier with the 2.8L and a Chevvy Corsica with the 3.1L back-to-back, and the 3.1L beat the 2.8L all hollow.

The 60-degree V6 is a sound idea, but the 2.8L was little more than a dawg in production, and it was vastly improved with the 3.1L variation (and a bit more with the 3.4L...)

The best upgrade for a 2.8L V6-60 is two hundred feet of 3/4" proof coil chain and four bags of Sakrete.

I know this is old but had to throw my .02 in there the 2.8 is a dog in the rwd/4x4 setup
I had an 87 s10 4x4, that couldn't even keep up with a buddies 2.5l 4cyl ranger, if you're into crawling and only crawling it might not be that bad but as a daily driver you're better off with the 2.5l that came in your jeep

Back