• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can a stock 2wd beam handle 35's?

stockMJ

NAXJA Forum User
I want to build my 1990 MJ on 35's but nothing crazy just more for DD and a trip to the sand once a month.

So can my stock front beam handle the stress or does it require me to gust it?

Suspension
6.5 Rough Country with Bilstein 5150's Prerunner style some what..

t&j makes a gusset ''kit''
http://www.tandjperformance.com/products-bpp-d30gussetkit.htm
that shows the basic gussetting....
if you wanted to go a little further, a backbrace accross the bottom would probably help...
i have some pictures that show great gusseting, but theyre on another pc.. sorry
might want to look into some of the jeepspeed build ups for ideas on it, the stock beam flexes all over the place.... try carrying one up to the cashier at a junkyard on a dolly... you'll see how it flexes in the wind

I would definitely start with the upper/inner c-s as they are prone to bending, the upper and lower control arm brackets are very flimsy and need strengthening or replacing, basically all the mounts need some sort of reinforcing, as well as the beam itself. I have some pics of the beam I am working on right now if you need any more info or ideas.
IMG_0930.jpg

IMG_0938.jpg

is that all TIG welded??? it looks really nice!

If you bend that mother, just hang your keys up...

Skullvarian said:
I would definitely start with the upper/inner c-s as they are prone to bending, the upper and lower control arm brackets are very flimsy and need strengthening or replacing, basically all the mounts need some sort of reinforcing, as well as the beam itself. I have some pics of the beam I am working on right now if you need any more info or ideas.
IMG_0930.jpg

IMG_0938.jpg

That........is a thing of beauty:loveu: :worship:

Thanks guys. It is mig welded, a nice welder and meticulous prep makes all the difference whether it is sheetmetal or thick plate. I used a Lincoln PM 215.

wow, that's some nice looking MIG! good job!

Back