• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2.8 to 3.4 carb jetting

xjcjfreek

NAXJA Forum User
This spring im going to swap out the 2.8 thats in my 86 cherokee in favor of a 3.4 out of a 95 camaro. Im going to swap intake manifolds so I still have carbration and dont have to fool around with a computer. Is the jetting in the carb sufficent for the 3.4 or should I increase the jet size? :canada:

Give it time...

Actually, it's not just jetting that governs the capacity of a carburettor - it's the volumetric capacity of the venturi. If you don't have enough "airflow support," jetting won't matter at all.

Consider just getting a slightly larger carburettor, and keeping the carburetted intake manifold. That would simplify things for you greatly.

(And, do be at least a little patient. If you ask a question - chances are, someone here can answer it for you. They just may not have seen it yet...:speepin: )

xjcjfreek said:
What CFM would a 3.4 require to run properly and what CFM would the original carb be?

I don't know about the OEM offhand, but I'm reasonably certain it's a bit undersized for the application (production vehicles usually are, except for "production performance.") There's a simple formula for finding the CFM requirement for a carburettor - check at Edelbrock's or Holley's site for it, it's probably there. The 2.8L is 171cid, the 3.1 is 189, and I think the 3.4L is about 207. You'll need the cubic inch displacement to plug into the formula.

Back