• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What kind of Floor Jack?

Magus2727

NAXJA Forum User
What kind of floor jacks do people use to lift their lifted jeeps? I am adding a 1.5" Teraflex and HD rear springs on my 95' and the current floor jack will max out 2-3" below pinch points.

Edit: is it safe to just get some cynder blocks ( the paving stone kind that are 6" wide about 2 inches solid thick and 12" long) and just put a few of those together for both the jack and the jack stands?

A 3 to 4 ton floor jack should do.

Concrete is sort of brittle. Yes it will work, but is it safe??? In a pinch I've been known to use a 4x4 block of wood, but I'd start with a larger jack first.

So it is safe to jack up under the diff? I have always worked with Compact Sport cars, first time with a Jeep. I think its a standard (if there is such a thing) floor jack. Using that jack should I be able to get plenty of lift to do my little lift?

jacks in general are only as "safe" as the people using them, and the precations taken..
6X6 blocks of wood will be your friend, but don't even think about getting under it while its up like that
Get your self Four Good Heavy duty Jack Stands (Harbor Freight has cheep,but sturdy ones)
use the floor jack and block to get it up and then support the hell out of it with the stands.

I have a Set of 4 Ton Jacks that will work. I did not even think about putting a block of wood between the jack and the Jeep... I was thinking that I needed to lift the jack up...

But since I now know I can lift up by the Diff this makes me happy, I dont have to shell out any more money then what I all ready have.

Thanks! for all the input!

muduck18 said:
jacks in general are only as "safe" as the people using them, and the precations taken..
6X6 blocks of wood will be your friend, but don't even think about getting under it while its up like that
Get your self Four Good Heavy duty Jack Stands (Harbor Freight has cheep,but sturdy ones)
use the floor jack and block to get it up and then support the hell out of it with the stands.

Agreed. Your standard jack should be able to jack it up enough (using the center of the jack centered on the lip/seam of the diff as a jack point) to get the tires off the ground and get your jack stands in under the frame rails. The front is a little tricky since the diff is off to the driver's side. I use the reinforced area just to the passenger side of the diff on the axle tube.

I like to use a stock scissor style jack with a 1" white pine dowel rod used between the body of the Jeep and the jack. I find it is much safer than using a standard floor jack.

oh, of course it is....:doh:

Jacks are for lifting the vehicle to put the jack stands under.

i used 4 cinderblocks and 2 4x4s like this

jeep009.jpg

i got a complete set from sears for $100 (2 stands 3 tone jack and creeper)

Back