• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

question about oil change?

Really it depends on what kind of filter you are running. With a stock filter 6qts will bring it just under full on the dipstick. But a with a bigger filter it could be 7 or 8 (develop a fast leak on a trail and you will soon realize why a bigger filter is better.) FYI an old Ford filter (NAPA 1515) will work on a 4.0l (92 and up I believe) and will let you hold another quart or so.

xjs4two said:
Really it depends on what kind of filter you are running. With a stock filter 6qts will bring it just under full on the dipstick. But a with a bigger filter it could be 7 or 8 (develop a fast leak on a trail and you will soon realize why a bigger filter is better.) FYI an old Ford filter (NAPA 1515) will work on a 4.0l (92 and up I believe) and will let you hold another quart or so.

I wanna see the filter that lets you run 7-8qts :rolleyes:

stock filter = 1/2qt = 6qts to fill
ford filter = 1qt = 6.5qts to fill

x2. I forget the number but right now I'm using a Motorcraft filter for a 92 Mustang. 1 qt capacity vs. the stock small filter at 1/2 quart capacity.

6 quarts with stock filter, 6.5 with the larger filter.

I'm wondering where you all are putting all that extra oil????:dunno:

My personal experience is 5.5 quarts with the 1/2 quart OEM style filter, and 6.0 quarts with the large 1 quart filter.

6.5, 7, 8 quarts.:eek: Of course if you had an additional external bypass filter system, then OK, maybe.

Mine are all Renix, 87-90, but UIAM, the HO motors hold the same amount of oil. Perhaps I am only getting 5.5 quarts out during the oil draining.

Blaine B. said:
With the stock filter, the system calls for 6 quarts. So you put in 6 quarts. Not 5.5.

Add accordingly for extra capacity with a bigger filter!

That assumes you were able to drain all 6 quarts.

Blaine B. said:
Seems like I have always been able to? I've never got it above the full line by putting in what I should.

Could be slope of the oil pan (jeep) while draining and or mine could have a 1/2 quart trapped in poor draining areas, a distinct possibilty. Never added more that 6 quarts to mine and that is with the large 1 quart filters changed out at the same time. With the old small filter (before I upgraded mine) I never got more than 5.5 quarts to the full mark, with the oil and filter changed.

Ecomike said:
Never added more that 6 quarts to mine and that is with the large 1 quart filters changed out at the same time. With the old small filter (before I upgraded mine) I never got more than 5.5 quarts to the full mark, with the oil and filter changed.

Something is wrong here. Both the Owners' Manual and the FSM for my '89 specify 6 qt without changing the oil filter. With oil filter, I have been putting in 6.3 to 6.4 qts to come up to full mark. I am the original owner of my '89 and have changed the oil/filter myself for the bulk of 19 years of ownership.

1.5 gallons...

just to be different :)

Back