• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2wd/4wd Transmissions

HttpWayne

NAXJA Forum User
Are they both the same? ...or is there a different transmission for the both of them ?

(discard manual and auto possibilities, obviously).

For example, I have a 2WD AW4 (98). Can I just add the NP242 w /d-shafts, front axles, and shifter and call it a day? or must the transmission be swapped too. ?

Wayne~

This has been knackered about pretty thoroughly, I've covered it in the last couple of days myself.

No, you cannot simply swap a 2WD gearbox for a 4WD. The tailshafts are different (different housing, different length,) and there is no provision for mounting a transfer case to a 2WD transmission - meaning a "divorced" mount. And a transfer case mount to the frame. And...

Can you convert one to the other? Yes. You can go either way, but it requires an overhaul to make it all work. And a donor for parts (or buy them new somewhere, and pay a damned fortune for them.)

Back