• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1987 1/2-1988 Cherokee Limited

Phil.R

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, I have a 1988 Cherokee Limited and it has a grille like the 1987 models.

I'm wondering how to tell if it's a 1987 1/2 or a 1988?
On the firewall, it shows an AMC logo and it says "Jeep Corporation". The radio and the cluster dials are the 1988 and newer style.

Phil.R said:
Hi, I have a 1988 Cherokee Limited and it has a grille like the 1987 models.

I'm wondering how to tell if it's a 1987 1/2 or a 1988?
On the firewall, it shows an AMC logo and it says "Jeep Corporation". The radio and the cluster dials are the 1988 and newer style.

nevr knew there was a different grill between the 87 and 88. i thought 87-90 were all the same. i know 84-86 were different than 87-90.

i was told by a few dealerships that they can only go back to 91 for vin checks.

the tag on my transfercase says 88 although mine is an 89.

shouldnt there also be a sticker on one of the door jams?

X2!

89xj said:
nevr knew there was a different grill between the 87 and 88. i thought 87-90 were all the same. i know 84-86 were different than 87-90.

i was told by a few dealerships that they can only go back to 91 for vin checks.

the tag on my transfercase says 88 although mine is an 89.

shouldnt there also be a sticker on one of the door jams?

I checked the vin, it says 1988. I was wondering about the 1987 grille.

Here's a 1987

And a 1988

And my 1988 after being repainted with a brush and Tremclad paint by the previous owner (the original color was charcoal metallic gray (still visible on the grille, inside the doors and on the rearwiew mirrors)

Maybe the grille was just replaced by a 1987 or older one but I was wondering if it was a 1988 model introduced in the 1987 model year (the door panels have 1987 1/2 stamped in the vinyl behind the armrests)

I guess we are going to have to grill :D this subject a bit more, LOL.

I had never noticed the difference.

Here's one VIN decoder.

http://jeep.avtograd.ru/VIN/vin_en.asp

As far as I know, the VIN decoders work back pretty far (the above from '81 up). It's the build sheets that are not accurate before '91.

Of course, any given model year could use parts from prior production years.

Back