• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pulse Plugs???

jdurbach

NAXJA Forum User
I've been seeing the adds for a new type of spark plug made by pulstar. At first I thought that it was just a bunch of snake oil with nothing to back it up. But I saw they show legit magizine articles where they are swapped into a car with REAL results. Anyway i'm just wondering if anyone has tried them in the 4.0 I6 with any results. The website for them is www.pulstarplug.com. It would be really nice to actually squeeze out a few more MPGs

We specifically designed the pulse plug to fit into the same hole as your existing spark plug. When you receive your pulse plugs you will find they have them same size and shape as a standard spark plug, and are installed the same.

sounds like an overated overpriced spark plug to me! and the bonus is you have to change is just as regularily as a standard plug.
reminds me of the bosch platinum +4's , they do nothing more than a normal plug but collect cumbustion crap quicker.
Most vehicles are designed to be run with a specific plug,nothing fancy.
Magazines also get money from running articles featuring their product.

At $25 each you would need to get a ton better miles per gallon to offset the cost!! They have a capciter inside them? sounds like something waiting to break to me.

Big debate about these. I just wonder that if they are so good why NASCAR and other racers and car manufacturers don't use them.

Do you think if things like the tornado or spiffy spark plugs could save you gas that they would be mandated by the government?

Not only that but I'm pretty sure that no plug can't put out more energy than the coil gives it.

Last edited:
Easy trick....Any new plug will show power gains over any old worn plug...and I will guarantee that anyone can make the dyno show whatever they want it to show with a tweak of the knob or a couple of keystrokes....I run STANDARD plugs in an engine with heavy nitrous loads and a GOOD digital ignition system to in excess of 11K rpm with no misfire feedback...I can see no advantage of using gimmick plugs in a DD street vehicle, expecially a Jeep motor that seldom see over 4K rpm.

But it's your money....and I would hope for 25 bux each, you get some way cool go fast stickers that will add as much power as the plugs will.

========================
The more power (watts) the better. Nothing can compete with Pulstar™.
===================================
Just plain not true
As long as the A/F gets fired. every thing above that is a WAST.
Add compression, a blower or raise the RPM s a lot. More spark may be needed but few stock engines have ever benefited from JUST a hotter spark.
Watts is a strange way of ratting the power in a spark anyway. What's up with that?

Spark is general rated in intenitly and duration or joules (<- spelling may not be right, sorry)

Last edited:
you spelled it right I'm a mechaniical engineer so the the thought of a capacitor in there made me curious. A charged capacitor would deliver much bigger carge to the electrode. Especially if it was dumped all at once like these plugs seem to do. Its the same way with a flash on a camera. thats why the flash has to charge. It charges a capacitor up with more voltage than the battery could supply itself then dumps it all at once to give you a BIG flash of light.

you spelled it right badron. Im studying to be a mechanical engineer and we have to do a alot of interdisciplinary study into electrical engineering so the thought of a capacitor in a plug got me interested. to me it follows the same principle of a camera flash. The battery charges a capacitor up and then dumps all that energy into the flash bulb at once causing a much brighter flash than if the battery powered it alone. If that capacitor in these plugs work the same way I'd think that it woud deliver much more energy to the gap. Giving a spark with more energy. One of the magazines that tested them in a 350z with just 1200 miles and saw a 10 hp improvement. Those stock plugs were pretty new I'd say and they still saw an improvemant.

A camera flash pulls its capacitor charge off a battery (as your waiting for the charge is it sucking steady power from the battery) When would this in plug capacitor have time to charge? when the rotor is flying past the terminal in the cap?? would it not need constant power to charge bfeore the discharge?

bcmaxx said:
A camera flash pulls its capacitor charge off a battery (as your waiting for the charge is it sucking steady power from the battery) When would this in plug capacitor have time to charge? when the rotor is flying past the terminal in the cap?? would it not need constant power to charge bfeore the discharge?

Very true... ummm... Disclaimer: only to be used in distributorless ignition systems.

lol

There was a post on an Evo forum about some dude screwing up his head with these plugs. I'll just keep my normal plugs and not risk it. I was a believer at one point. Since I have a high performance mustang, it would allow me to run more timing because the spark would ignite the fuel quicker and more completely in the cylinder for more power. I decided to keep my motor intact and buy a meth injection kit instead lol.

They work great. The capacitive charging effect basically delays the spark to jump. It gives the time for the coil to fully dispate it's charge before re charging. By the way if you widen your plug gap it also delays the spark and makes the coil discharge more of it's energy the same way. Save your money on these plugs and put in new plugs with a wider gap and you will have the same effect.

Back