• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

driving with out doors

4x4life05

NAXJA Forum User
Is it legal in TX to drive on the streets with your doors off? Or is it just as long as you have side view mirrors?

Thanks

Danny

All you need is rear view mirrior. I run mine all the time with out doors. In Dallas at that. You'll get some funny looks but it is totally legal.

You are suppossed to have one sideview. I've been pulled over for it and as I was pulled over a wrangler drove by without doors and I asked the cop why he could go without doors and I couldn't and he didn't have an answer so he let me go. I now have a YJ mirror that i bolt onto the fender when I am doorless.

[FONT=Arial,]Inspection criteria for the state of Texas:

20.19 Mirror.
Every motor vehicle shall be equipped with a mirror so located as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of such motor vehicle.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,]1. Inspection Procedure[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,]a. Inspect only one mirror.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,]1) Exterior Rearview Mirror: From the driver’s position, visually inspect exterior mirror for a clear and reasonably unobstructed view to the rear. Look for correct location and stable mounting.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,]2) Interior Rearview Mirror: From the driver’s position, visually inspect interior mirror for proper mounting, location, cracks, sharp edges, and ease of adjustment.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,]2. Inspect for and reject if:[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,]a. Mirror does not provide the driver with a clear view to the rear of 200 feet.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,]b. Vehicle is not equipped with at least one mirror.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,]c. Mirror offers unsafe interference with driver’s forward vision.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,]d. Reflective surface of mirror is cracked, broken, peeled, tarnished, or has sharp edges.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,]e. Mirror is not mounted securely to prevent swing or excessive vibration unless the vehicle is equipped with another mirror which meets requirements.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,]NOTE: An inside mirror would meet all the above requirements. If the vehicle is equipped with more than one mirror, only one, either inside or outside, needs to meet all requirements.[/FONT]

Drove from here to barnwell many a times no problems doorless.

iluv83vettes said:
You are suppossed to have one sideview. I've been pulled over for it and as I was pulled over a wrangler drove by without doors and I asked the cop why he could go without doors and I couldn't and he didn't have an answer so he let me go. I now have a YJ mirror that i bolt onto the fender when I am doorless.

The cop did not know what he was talking about. No side mirriors are needed in the state of Texas.

I only have doors because it is cold. Now it is warm and the beast will have the collars removed now ;)

Hmm, I wonder what the laws are in Oklahoma? when it comes to mirrors?

What I've always wondered is what makes it legal for a vehicle to run without doors?

I know that you guys are in a different chapter but would anybody know
about driving without doors in PA. i got pulled over and they gave me a warning and kept saying something about original factory equipment.
and i really wanna go out and just rub it in their face if it is legal.

insanity said:
I think a lot of states requre you to have the rearvew and the DS side mirrior.

Illinois is like this. They're really strict.

New Mexico is ridiculously leaniant on their requirements. You can wheel anywhere that isn't private land too. As you can imagine, there's alot of open land out there. That's one of the few things I liked about that place. I like Texas for it's leaniancy (sp)too.

I checked Oklahoma state law and all that is needed is the review and the drivers side mirrors. Once I get one the doors are coming off, I allredy have them cut just need to get the passenger side finished. Why did they think to mount the pins on that side upside down is beyond me. Oh and thanks to extankerguy for showing me what to cut and leting me use his drimal to do the cutting.

Just for giggles sake I will be putting a couple of 2" dome mirrors mounted in the door frame. I know I don't need them, but if I have them I could never be dinged by some police officer who just doesn't know and wants to ticket anyways.

Back