• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ideas for teh XJ headliner? herculiner, etc any pics?

geberhard

NAXJA Forum User
Seached but could not find pics of ideas for ideas on the headliner. Well aside from Vetteboiy's idea on chopping the roof out, what have you guys being doing to deal with the roof lining coming down?

http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=102654

Anyone has pics of herculined headliner on your XJ? I am about to tear the headliner in the rig, and hate the orange crap underneath. before i get adventurous herculining the rig everywhere anyone has pics on the results?

Pics appreciated, thanks!

Why dont you want to go with a standard type headliner again? I pulled mine out recently and put in new headliner material with spray adhesive. I think it looks pretty clean that way. I did loose one of the caps on the end of the OH SH!T handle but I am sure there are plenty of those at the JY that I will be able to find. It does cost more than painting it but I think it was worth it. Will have pics late tonight if you want.

Just did the headliner of my 2 door. Found that grey courderoy looks great, bought it for about 6 or 7 per yard. total cost 20 bucks and borrowing contact cement gun from an old (and i mean OLD) boss and friend. total time for removal installation around 3 hours. take time with the glue. Make sure the material is at least 56 inches wide. ask me how i know.

Although not as cheap as some of these suggestions, you can find headliners in perfect condition at junk yards....it doesn't happen all the time, but I have seen a few.
Easy screw in installation, looks like factory too!
:D

Somewhere there is a thread floating around where a guy replaced his headliner with some winter camo material he bought. It looked pretty good. Wish I could remember where I saw it...

I went to a fabric store, bought headliner fabric, bought headliner spray glue, and glued new fabric onto the headliner fiber board. Looks brand new and 100% factory...wouldn't do it any other way!

camo. I got mine at a fabric shop pretty cheap. then i bought some cans of spray adhesive and followed the directions. i turned out good and a lot of ppl seem to like it.

You could aslo do furry animal prints if your into that.

camo2.jpg

camo.jpg

geberhard said:
What headliner spray are you guys running? Anything I can get on a hardware store?

Both 3M and Permatex make a spray "Headliner Adhesive". They're both available thorugh NAPA.

I got the permatex at napa and got the stock type headliner material on E-bay. Just search foam backed headliner material and it should come up. It took me 2 cans of the permitex and i got 3 yards of the fabric.

A mistake that I did was trying to peel off the backing of the old material which ripped into the fibers which showes through. You should knock off the foam with a brush or your hand, shop vac it then just spray on top of that. Make sure that you leave a few inchs of the material in the front since ther is no trim piece there and you will have to wrap it around to cover correctly.

Back