• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Super 44

Starboard M

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
My dad is currently in the process of building a rear 44. Detroit, 4.56s, truss, etc. Currently the only things purchased are gears and the axle housing.

We have been trying to decide what shafts to go with, and we have been leaning towards the 33 spline Super 44 kit. This kit comes with 33 spline, bearings, studs, and a 33 spline Detroit.
http://www.ok4wd.com/index.php/catalog/product/superior_axle_evolution_series_super_44_kit/
Cost: $1045

Now heres the deal.
PORC has Alloy 33 spline shafts with bearings, seals and studs for $260
http://www.performanceoffroadcenter...=2258&osCsid=f23cbbace3c1ba43bcd5a9e9d433181e

PORC also has a 33 spline Detroit for $550
http://www.performanceoffroadcenter...=1233&osCsid=f23cbbace3c1ba43bcd5a9e9d433181e

So for $810, $235 cheaper then buying the Superior kit, we can essentially get the exact same thing.
But, one is Alloy USA axle shafts, while the other has Superior shafts.

Explain to me why one would not piece the kit together rather then actually buying the kit. Are the Superior shafts that much better then the Alloy USA ones?

Another added bonus is I have the Super 44 kit in my XJ. We would be able to only have one set of spare shafts this way, cutting down on cost and things needed to be packed.

Also, for those of you going to be saying swap in an 9'', 14 bolt, 8.8 etc, I would rather upgrade an axle then downgrade. That, plus 32'' MTRs do not warrant a 14 bolt.

Previous thread I started talking about the Super 44.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=36941

There are lots of people that would believe the 'convenience' of the package is worth the extra dough. Since I have friends who make good money off of these people I am not going to bash them...but....:D
You know damn well there is no reason to buy the package deal, there maybe no reason to care if your and you dad's kits are from different manufacturers, if you are both running 33 spline shafts, wouldn't they still be
interchangeable?

And there is probably no reason to truss his 44 if you only plan on
running 32's...but you already knew that....

And I, for one, am glad you will not consider running a 14 bolt with said 32's!!
That would give you maybe 4" of ground clearance.

Rick

Jump This said:
There are lots of people that would believe the 'convenience' of the package is worth the extra dough. Since I have friends who make good money off of these people I am not going to bash them...but....:D
You know damn well there is no reason to buy the package deal, there maybe no reason to care if your and you dad's kits are from different manufacturers, if you are both running 33 spline shafts, wouldn't they still be
interchangeable?

And there is probably no reason to truss his 44 if you only plan on
running 32's...but you already knew that....

And I, for one, am glad you will not consider running a 14 bolt with said 32's!!
That would give you maybe 4" of ground clearance.

Rick
I guess I was mainly asking about the shafts, since thats what it comes down to it sounds like. Superior vs Alloy USA. Ill check into that I guess and figure out whats what. Although, I hear the Superior sticker that comes with the kit is pretty cool.....

As for the truss, I figure since the axle is already out, we may as well polish it as much as we can.

I would stay away from Superior even if their shafts are allegedly better. Their custom service is piss poor to say the least, good luck getting them to honor their warrenty.
Alloy USA on the other hand has great CS and they will honor their warrenty.

Jes said:
I would stay away from Superior even if their shafts are allegedly better. Their custom service is piss poor to say the least, good luck getting them to honor their warrenty.
Alloy USA on the other hand has great CS and they will honor their warrenty.
I remember when you and BC were having issues with them. You, BC and Letterman have 44 alloy shafts and I seem to recall all of you breaking them.

Were those breaks with the Superiors? Mixed?

I've never broken a D44 shaft, my issue with Superior is they wouldn't warrenty a shaft that I twisted the splines on.
BC and Letterman have both broken Alloy USA shafts(2 each I believe) but their driving brings the suck. :D
At least Alloy USA warrentied their shafts no questions asked.

Superior...
standard.jpg

Alloy USA...
standard.jpg

...pick your poison. That was all 30 spline junk with 35" tires, BTW.
33 spline stuff is quite a bit stronger.

Last edited:
I'm also piecing together a Super 44 kit. I found a new 33-spline Detroit Locker for cheap. I've just been waiting on the Alloy USA 33-spline shafts. They've been on backorder for a couple of months, but should be here next week. My "kit" will end up costing me $465.

If all you really want a Superior sticker, I have one that you can have. :) I've had it since I bought some Superior shafts for my 8.25. I'll send you the sticker when I mail that AC-delete pulley out to you.

Back