• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

speaker doorlock wiring

bradow

NAXJA Forum User
1999 cherokee classic, power everything,

Shortly after i bought my xj the drivers side speaker and window lock button quit working. I searched on here and fount this to be a common problem, which is easily fixed by doing a couple splices back into the green and brown/red stripe wires where they first exit the connectors. So i took everything apart, made note of the places in the door wiring that is prone to failure, and just for kicks got out my test light to make certain of what was going on.

Imagine my surprise when the test light did not light up at the connector itself (the one behind the kick panel-with about a dozen wires coming out of it). Should this be happening? It did light up in various other sequences, door lock ect, just not the green wire connected to the brown/red stripe. Is there a fuse somewhere I am missing? The owners manual does not list one in the pass. kick panel.

I pulled the below info off of the web. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

1997-2001 stereo infformation:
Constant 12V+ Pink/Yellow
Switched 12V+ Red/White
Ground Black
Illumination Orange/Brown
Dimmer Black/Light Blue
Front Speakers
Left Front (+) Dark Green
Left Front (-) Brown/Red
Right Front (+) Purple
Right Front (-) Dark Blue/Red
Rear Speakers
Left Rear (+) Brown/Yellow
Left Rear (-) Brown/Light Blue
Right Rear (+) Dark Blue/White
Right Rear (-) Dark Blue/Orange

There are quite a wide variety of speaker manufacturers to choose from that produce replacement speakers to fit the hole in our doors.
Sony, Polk, Pioneer, Kenwood, are to name just a few....
Several years ago I installed Boston Acoustics..., but there are better ones available depending upon the quality of sound you want....

"1997-2001 stereo infformation:
Constant 12V+ Pink/Yellow
Switched 12V+ Red/White
Ground Black
Illumination Orange/Brown
Dimmer Black/Light Blue
Front Speakers
Left Front (+) Dark Green
Left Front (-) Brown/Red
Right Front (+) Purple
Right Front (-) Dark Blue/Red
Rear Speakers
Left Rear (+) Brown/Yellow
Left Rear (-) Brown/Light Blue
Right Rear (+) Dark Blue/White
Right Rear (-) Dark Blue/Orange"

Thank you!

I replaced my door speakers on my 99 sport with pioneers from bestbuy that were on sale for $40 which sound sweet (you really can't beat Pioneers) Pioneer TG-G1342R 5 1/4". They install pretty easy a little drilling into the door. Make sure you mark the spots where you wanna drill unlike what I did and as I was trying to drill I slipped the drill off the door and went right through the speaker. really stupid mistake and I still don't know why i did, just brought it back to best buy and said this is what it looked like out of the box and I got a new set. Crutchfield sells them for $50 llok around though.

VTEK1 said:
http://soxja.org/images/pics/Bypass/Bypass.html

This might help with the doorlock out. Scared the shit outta me because the XJ didn't start the first time but went inside to get a drink of water and it started right up and I haven't had a problem since and all the windows work, hope this works out for you.

Does this bypass the window lock for just the passenger door, or all three doors? Does it affect any other safety systems?

No the bypass does all the doors so everything will work and as fas as I know I haven't had any safety issues and no one I've talked to has had a problem with it. Otherwise you could replace the window swtich at $40 a pop from the junkyard or do this and lose the window lockout. make sure you got the right wires thats all

Back