• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

GPS mounting location?

cshontz

NAXJA Forum User
I'm planning on mounting my GPS in this approximate location using RAM mounting hardware. Can anyone provide suggestions for a sturdy, permanent, clean, minimally-invasive mounting location in this part of the dash? I'll probably require a custom bracket.

222992466_0c924e85b2.jpg

How does one remove the left-hand vent in this picture? I wonder if it just pops out. I expect that vent to be partially obscured. Perhaps I could remove it to gain access to a potentially good mounting surface.

here's where i mounted my eTrex Legend Cx...

IMG_1128.jpg

i'm using the Marine Mount to mount it to the top part of the dash.

MarineMount.jpg

but because the material that is used on the top of the dash doesn't seem like it's too sturdy, i figured i'd make a backing plate to fit under the dash so the screws/bolts wouldn't pull through.

so to test the location to make sure it was right, i temporarily used some industrial strength velcro. well, i haven't gotten around to making that backing plate them taking the dash off to install it, so i've still been using the velcro. and it's held up really well. even in the hot summer and bouncy trails

I've been doing something similar involving the marine mount and an eTrex Legend for a while now, only with it mounted between the A-pillar and instrument binnacle:

05---etrex_closeup.jpg

Power's run to the combination lighter adapter / serial cable behind the dash, with the serial plug exiting under the centre console on the passenger's side. Works great: no problems with reception, and I can pull it out pretty easily to take it with me for geocaching, etc. More photos of the install can be found here.

casm said:
I've been doing something similar involving the marine mount and an eTrex Legend for a while now, only with it mounted between the A-pillar and instrument binnacle:

05---etrex_closeup.jpg

Power's run to the combination lighter adapter / serial cable behind the dash, with the serial plug exiting under the centre console on the passenger's side. Works great: no problems with reception, and I can pull it out pretty easily to take it with me for geocaching, etc. More photos of the install can be found here.
i was originally gonna mount mine there because i saw your picture before. but i thought twice about it when i remembered that i seem to have issues remembering to roll up my window when going through mud :D you can kinda see it in my pictures...that side is pretty well hit with mud spatter ;)

FitchVA said:
i was originally gonna mount mine there because i saw your picture before. but i thought twice about it when i remembered that i seem to have issues remembering to roll up my window when going through mud :D you can kinda see it in my pictures...that side is pretty well hit with mud spatter ;)

Heh, it probably wouldn't've mattered - that Legend shown in the photo survived four days underwater before I retrieved it from the flooded Jeep. Worked fine after changing out the batteries; I now tell people it was actually made by Timex ;) I like the approach you took with it, though. Only reason I ended up not putting it there is that I've got switches that're going to (eventually) end up in that blank between the instrument cluster and air vents, and didn't want to block access to them.

How do you like the Cx? I've been toying with the idea of an upgrade for a while now, but haven't really had a chance to play with one yet. Is the display readable in sunlight?

Last edited:
Are you guys running one of these to power it??

010-10203-00.jpg

I hate exposed wire and plugging stuff in to cigarette lighter/power outlet; wondering if I can just permanently wire it in.

-Jay

Jay2000XJ said:
Are you guys running one of these to power it??

Pretty close... I'm using this one (click here for product page):

010-10268-00.jpg

It's basically the same thing, but also provides serial output so I can hook the laptop up to it while driving.

I hate exposed wire and plugging stuff in to cigarette lighter/power outlet; wondering if I can just permanently wire it in.

Same here. What I did was to get a lighter extension cable from Radio Shack, cut off the end that normally plugs into the lighter, then hide that behind the centre bezel (it all tucks in between the radio & heater switches), spliced in to the lighter wiring. I then plugged the Garmin adapter into it, and ran its wiring up through the dash and to the location where the mount is now; the serial cable pops out just in front of the forward edge of the centre console on the passenger side. Everything's hidden out of sight and seems to work fine.

Last edited:
i have that too but i think it gets in the way when your not using it, i was going to cut one and try to hard wire it to the cigarette lighter.

casm said:
Same here. What I did was to get a lighter extension cable from Radio Shack, cut off the end that normally plugs into the lighter, then hide that behind the centre bezel (it all tucks in between the radio & heater switches), spliced in to the lighter wiring. I then plugged the Garmin adapter into it, and ran its wiring up through the dash and to the location where the mount is now; the serial cable pops out just in front of the forward edge of the centre console on the passenger side. Everything's hidden out of sight and seems to work fine.

Awesome. Good call on the combo-cord too, just in case I want to upload maps/waypoints/etc. Thanks!

-Jay

I've got my GPS 315 and my FineDrive 400 nav system both mounted in the same place as FitchVA, sorry I don't have a pic. I made my own mounting brackets.

[/QOUTE]Same here. What I did was to get a lighter extension cable from Radio Shack, cut off the end that normally plugs into the lighter, then hide that behind the centre bezel (it all tucks in between the radio & heater switches), spliced in to the lighter wiring. I then plugged the Garmin adapter into it, and ran its wiring up through the dash and to the location where the mount is now; the serial cable pops out just in front of the forward edge of the centre console on the passenger side. Everything's hidden out of sight and seems to work fine.[/QUOTE]

shoulda read the whole thread....

Jay2000XJ said:
Awesome. Good call on the combo-cord too, just in case I want to upload maps/waypoints/etc. Thanks!

No problem :) One thing I will mention about this setup, though: make sure you get it right the first time, because you don't want to have to tear the dash apart again if you don't - especially the part that houses the demister vents, which is a PITA to get back in properly if it feels like being difficult. Ask me how I know ;)

casm said:
How do you like the Cx? I've been toying with the idea of an upgrade for a while now, but haven't really had a chance to play with one yet. Is the display readable in sunlight?
i love the cx. the display is really nice. good color and resolution. in the sunlight outside holding it, reading the display is pretty good. but in the jeep, i cut the contrast/brightness all the way up so it's easier to read quickly so i don't take my eyes off the road a lot. but running on just batteries really eats up the batteries when you hike the brightness all the way up.

but i'm 100% pleased with it. gotta love color display and removable/expandable memory.

Anyone got a Garmin 276C or similar? I'd like to see how you have that particular unit mounted in a 97+. Here's a picture I found of someone else's setup, but I want mine to be more in my line-of-sight.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2973&d=1156288984

I think I might've figured something out. The bad thing - I lose some vent functionality. The good thing - I should be able to put the GPS exactly where I want it, and in a reversible manner.

223118344_d15f6ec841.jpg

i got the swivle mount, the guys at sportsmans warehouse thought i was crazy for mounting it in my jeep. i wasn't going to pay $40 bucks for the real vehicle mount. this was $15

gps.jpg

casm said:
Pretty close... I'm using this one (click here for product page):

010-10268-00.jpg

It's basically the same thing, but also provides serial output so I can hook the laptop up to it while driving.

I had the same set up in my rig, plus had my computer plugged in and my Lilliput screen. It was a PITA out on the trail. I recently hard wired all 3 with some fuses and auxillary switches. Worked out real well.

Back