• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tie rod material

Jump This

Just another minion!
Will 4130, 1.250 X .188 wall stand up to Johnson Valley rocks for any length of time?
I had intended to use .250 wall, but there wasn't any available when I was at the supply yard.
I don't have any sleeve material (either inner or outer.)
BTW its for a 30 running 35's.
I have already built the rod using weld in bungs, but the damaged tie rod was the quarter inch material, it bent and the stuff was just too damn hard to straighten back out. Maybe with the 188 I will at least have a chance to straighten it out next time it bends?

Rick

So now I do some research....should have just grabbed some DOM at the .250 wall thickness, I don't know if they had any, but I'd bet they did...

But still, is what I bought just too thin.....

Chris @ GATR said:
I would not use anything less than 1.5"OD/1.0"ID .250 wall DOM for a tie rod, period. Especially if you are wheeling at Johnson Valley.

The only problem I would have with this is actually tapping the ends to fit the hiems. Hmmm....know of any suppliers of the appropriate taps?

Rick

3/16" wall 4130 wouldnt cut it if you want my opinion. I'd keep the stocker for all that trouble. You can build a 1.5" DOM rock rod with 7/8" 18TPI ends and tube adapters from Ballistic Fabrication for about $125 and you could park a tank on it. Dont fool with heims for a tie rod.

1.25 OD would be be just fine but I would suggest .25 wall. .188 is quite thin...

Keep in mind, depending on your knuckles and TREs, how close the tie rod is going to be from hitting the Diff cover. my 1.25 OD Dom misses just barely!

Jump This said:
The only problem I would have with this is actually tapping the ends to fit the hiems. Hmmm....know of any suppliers of the appropriate taps?

Rick

You wont tap the ends of the DOM. You would weld in tube adapters. Hang on and let me get you some links.

Chris

Rick I know how you drive! Don't go any less than 1.5 .25 wall DOM. I have about 4ft piece of DOM you can have but it's a loooong drive from BS to HB...

Jump This said:
So now I do some research....should have just grabbed some DOM at the .250 wall thickness, I don't know if they had any, but I'd bet they did...

But still, is what I bought just too thin.....

The set up I have won't accept TRE's. But its has not been an issue, it doesn't get much pavement driving in...

And Billy...a real friend would find a way to get it to me!
(I'll be in BB all weekend!)

:D

I guess I'll use what I built as my back up....

If I didn't have a driveway full of Jeeps to work on this weekend I would join you in BB. BTW TRE's are for sissys go with Heims!

And Billy...a real friend would find a way to get it to me!
(I'll be in BB all weekend!)

:D

I guess I'll use what I built as my back up....[/quote]

Back