• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to remove overhead console?

cshontz

NAXJA Forum User
The overhead console on my 01 XJ has developed a rattle when I play music. It sounds like something is loose in there, so I want to remove it and tighten things up a little bit. Can anyone describe the procedure for removing this?

222992596_7622421c21.jpg

I believe that if you remove the 2 front screws where the sun visors clip in, that will allow you to tilt the front down and slip it out of the rear bracket. Do be careful of the wiring when you remove it.

Dave

cshontz said:
The overhead console on my 01 XJ has developed a rattle when I play music.

Give it a few more years...

I don't think theres ANY part of the interior of my '92 that doesn't rattle or squeek...whether there's music playing or not!

Just something to look forward to :shiver:

cshontz said:
It sounds like something is loose in there,

The wires can slip loose and will rattle. I just added a few strips of duct tape and that solved the problem on mine.

To re-install, slip the "tail" into the opening, align the front screw holes and install the screws. Now gentle push upward on the console in the area of the roof bracket and it will snap into place.

Back