• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fuel leak from hell

El Taco

NAXJA Forum User
Been busy, I suppose. I have a friend with an 89 XJ, leaking at the injectors a bit. Could use new o-rings, I'm sure, but the regulator is dumping pretty bad as well. I came to do the cooling system conversion and found this. Anyhow, I've had this apart when I replaced the freeze plugs behind the manifold, and don't recall any kind of retainer in the fuel inlet line to the regulator, other than a bolt on the manifold. Did I miss a clip or something? Mine is a 96, and the inlet is completely different. This is a steel line bolted to the manifold entering a vacuum operated, what I can only imagine to be, fuel pressure regulator.

Any ideas?

Also, '90 radiator doesn't have this large sensor protruding from it. Does it matter?

also where is the temp sending unit on the 89 4.0 i can not seem to locate it. I am doing a water system swap with a 92 4.0 and things are a little different

El Taco said:
Ok where can i find that clip can you discribe it a little

plastic "squeeze to remove" clip/plug with built-in o-ring. Once it is removed, go see the Chryco dealer and pick up a new one-- comes with the installation toll to get it back together.

El Taco said:
also where is the temp sending unit on the 89 4.0 i can not seem to locate it. I am doing a water system swap with a 92 4.0 and things are a little different

sending unit for the gauge/idiot light is on the top of the cylender head toward the back, drivers side. It has one "push on" style wire on it.

sending unit for the electric cooling fan is located in the drivers side tank on the radiator-- big round sucker with two wires attached.

El Taco said:
ok the 91 does not have the switch for the fan is that a problem if so how to fix it?

91?

I thought it was a 92. Either way, I think your best bet is to use the water outlet from the 91/92 and wire the switch from there. Search on electric fan switch and see what others have done-- I know it's been covered a bunch and I'm happy enough with the closed system that I haven't filled my (rather limited) brain with the swap.

switch won't like that high (30A IIRC) current flow and ECU won't like the extra cooling-- you/he'll never get into closed loop and gas mileage will suck.

ok so i have to find a way to adapt the switch i know it wont fit in the other radiator or thermo housing where would the fan switch be located on the 91 or 92 do you know?

Back