• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wipers randomly deceased :l

hidesintrees

NAXJA Forum User
so my wipers worked great till i disconnected battery & replaced my tcu. now i turn em on and i here a click and nothing works with em. i tested for continuity through the terminals on the box that unplugs under dash (90 xj) and got nothin throught the ground terminal.. went to u pull it and tested 4 different ones and none had continuity through ground so i thought maybe its supposed to be like that? anyone go through this before? seems like the circuit all that stuff runs off is haywire on my jeep. no bueno

okay this seems too simple but.... fuse?

remove the "box" under the dash and plug the two plugs directly together and see if anything works that way-- if so, prolly bad box. If not, bad switch or bad wiper motor. Don't expect the delay function to work without the box, but the wipers should work on slow speed without the box connected.

The click noise is coming from a relay. I had the same problem on my 1988 last month, wipers didn't work but there was a click when I turned them on. It turned out to be the motor itself. I didn't investigate what was wrong, I connected another wiper motor I had and it worked...
I replaced it and I got plastic bushings from "Help!" products to fix the the loose transmission at the same time. Now they work flawlessly and they don't stop in the middle of the windshield!

The day before the front wipers went bad, I just had fixed a problem with the rear wiper motor on my 1988. It was a 50 cents diode that needed to be replaced on the motor.

Back