• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What 5 speed tranny on 98 XJ's, and mod AW4 to 23 spline Q's?

geberhard

NAXJA Forum User
Sorry for the newbie question here, but am searching and not getting a straight answer. Looking at a 98 XJ, 4.0, 5 speed; does it have a AX15 or 3550 tranny?

Another Q, anyone has modded tyhe AW4 output to 23 splines from 21?

I may get this rig and transplant stuff from the 88r XJ to start on a cleaner platform.

Thanks!

geberhard said:
Sorry for the newbie question here, but am searching and not getting a straight answer. Looking at a 98 XJ, 4.0, 5 speed; does it have a AX15 or 3550 tranny?

Another Q, anyone has modded tyhe AW4 output to 23 splines from 21?

I may get this rig and transplant stuff from the 88r XJ to start on a cleaner platform.

Thanks!

Should be AX-15, the NV3550 was only used in the XJ for the 2001MY (as I recall.)

The AW4 can be changed from a 21-spline output to a 23-spline, but you're looking at a minor overhaul to do so (mainly because the output shaft wants to be changed, and you'll have to tear the box apart from the front. Everything has to come out! I've torn a couple down myself...) Easier to just get a 23-spline, or change the input gear on the transfer case (but you run into a change in gear cut for the NP231 ca. 1995/1996 or so.)

Back