• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Organize a TSF Snow-Breaking Run??

WheelinJR

NAXJA Forum User
Checking to see if anyone is interested in breaking trail on some snowed in Roads. This isn't a trail run, not Browns Camp, not our usual routes

The following is an email circulating through my rally group regarding the roads we use for Oregon Trail Rally.

Attached you will find a map of the Tillamook State Forest showing roads used by our rally. Russ has said that he has interested 4x4 drivers eager to break trail through the snow that blankets our roads. Perhaps you too Mikey have a cadre of trailblazers?
Any snow plow attachments?

Anyway, the map shows our stage roads in red, except where I have superceded them with yellow or white lines. the yellow indicates snow levels on the road up to 6 inches. Those yellow roads at the higher elevations are along roads that have been previously plowed. The white indicated depths greater than 6 inches. The snow level generally starts at about 1600 feet. And the upper elevations (>2300') have about 2 feet of snow on the road if not previously plowed.

OTR08TSFsnowlevels4-9-08.jpg

Music Road has not been plowed through to McGregor Rd, and it is only speculation on my part as to how deep it is along its route since I have only seen the two ends. McGregor Road is plowed clean all the way through except for one 2 mile section in the middle which has some patches with tire tracks.

Section 10 Rd at Hwy 26 is largely untracked up to Salmonberry Road, at which it is about a foot deep.

Shields Road is only tracked for about 1/2 mile off of Hwy 26, at which point the road climbs steeply up the hillside. Good luck with that one. At the ridgetop summit the route bears left onto Rock Creek Ridge Road, running southeast to intersect with Salmonberry Rd. Totally untracked, the snow is about 24" deep at the top (2550').

Salmonberry and Wheeler Roads have been previously plowed and should be able to be pushed through to the Camp 5 site. The previous plowing had earlier allowed me to drive my car further on Wheeler Road and make the acute right turn up Fire Road #2. But near the summit the plowing effort diminished and I turned around when surrounded by 3 foot drifts!

North Lousignont Rd at Camp 5 is untracked and unplowed, and I worked my way up from the other end to about the 1600' level before encountering the first snow patches.

Good luck if you accept the challenge.

As for date, I am thining May 3rd, that's pretty much the soonest I could do it. That's 4 weekends away.

The mission, get out there and just get through the roads. If we can push through the snow on them and get some tracks laid, it'll help melt the snow and possibly get it broken down enough to where the plows will start moving through.

Might make for a fun day. Anyone in?

PS - If you want to see the full size version of the map, pm me an email address, it's large.

Ok, well due to my other plans this weekend falling thru, we will be doing this this saturday April 12th.

If you:

consider your jeep and skills to be efficient at getting thru deep snow
have 31" or taller tires
have a CB (ham radio preferred, but we can work around it)
have adequate recovery points, straps, etc
have a free day this saturday
bonus points for winch
bonus points for chainsaw

Let me know. We will be meeting at 8:30am so be prepared to be there at that time, with everything you need to get thru a full day.

JR

nitrospeed said:
come on now. are you all scared? Its better than sitting on the couch.
Very very true but this is the first sunny weekend in a long time and I am sure most don't want to spend it in the snow! I would come but my girlfriend and my Jeep have other plans.

Back