• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

likelyhood of a bent front axle

skipc

NAXJA Forum User
For the first couple hundred k miles I wasn't the owner of my 89 4.0 4wd XJ, however it appears to have been taken care of OK. 4wd works great as does most everything else.

However, as I've talked about before, it wears front tires on the extreme inside. What's the probablility that it's just a worn ball joint rather than a bent axle housing or end? Is it common to bend?

I can't feel any looseness at all when jacked up. Will be trying again with it lifted part way so the joint is floating too. It bothers me there is no play, but the grease seal on the upper one is shot.

I'd like to just try a $26 Autozone special (lifetime warr.) rather than try to est how many degrees I need and get a special set (an much more $). I know the AZ ones are probably not 20 yr life ones, but any comments on them? Comments on whether just standard ball joints fix this kind of thing 99/100 times?

It has taken on a 'wobble' like bounce at certain speeds on the highway. Steering parts are solid though. I've never felt a 'death wobble', so not sure if that's it. Just thought I'd mention it too, since it may confirm things for the advice...

So, comments on the highest probablility/lowest cost fix?

TIA,
Skip

not that it's likely, but it's possible that your tires are mounted improperly...that would at least explain part of the wobble, maybe the wear too... or the wobble may also be from the tire not being quite correctly balanced as the tread wears down.

I've got a similar issue...my front wheels are splayed outwards on the bottom. it's noticeable from behind my truck.

it's got a regear with replacement axles coming, so i'm not too worried about it...but if i could use the old axle that would be cool.

ive got the same problem the lifespan of my 35's isnt very long at all =[ im pretty sure my axle's are bent though. i dont have any death wobble though. i *cough* may have jumped it a couple times in my younger years.

also death wobble is generic it can vary from scaring you crapless to what the heck is that

Last edited:
no...death wobble is scaring the shit outta you. you'll KNOW when you have death wobble. it's the kinda wobble that you have to stop your rig to stop.

there's normal wobble that could lead to death wobble though.

hmm. how likely is it to cause an axle to seperate from the pumpkin?

i've got some diff noises from my front axle...and the wheels are splayed. i'm wondering if the axle isn't just plain fubar.

Back