• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering Problem

Jester99

NAXJA Forum User
My steering is very sloppy up front. I have replaced all tie rod ends and had a couple of alignments in the last 6 months. It isn't out of alignment now but it definitely wants to wander in either direction on the roads. When going over bumpy roads, which there are a lot of around here, it seems as if the wheels want to move in different directions and the front end is just extremely rough in general. I can feel it through the steering wheel as well. Also when going over bumps and turning, about 50% of the time there is a popping noise. Seems to be mainly on the driver side but I think I hear it on both sides as well. The front tires seem to be wearing much faster. I have a 3" lift but these problems have been their since before I lifted it in some form. I'm guessing it's the steering box or ball joints?

Adjust your steering box. An 88 probably has some wear on the steering gears. You will need a 11/16 wrench i believe it is and an allen wrench I forget the size.

The adjustment nut is accessible from the drivers side if you take out the aux. fan. the allen bolt while you loosen the jamb nut. you don't want the adjusting bolt to move in relation to where it starts. turn the adjusting nut 1/4 turn at a time a small adjustment goes a long way. Hold the bolt again to lock down the jamb nut.

As for your wear problem it sound like maybe your bearing might be going bad.
They will wear a set of tires fast and can make the rig wander because the tires are out of proper alignment.

bring it by the chatt state automotive tech building between 8 and 2 pm and ill take a look at it for you and tell you what you should do.

Sounds familiar to some troubles I've had recently... get those ball joints checked. I suspect you'll find significant up/down play. I did mine recently and it really made a world of difference in the feel of the front end. But confirm they have play first. There are other culprits which could contribute to your issues.

Check everything else b-4 adj. the steering box. Serious consequences if you screw it up.Did you change the steering stabilizer? How are the front bearings? Have someone turn the steering wheel while you observe the the shaft coming out of the steering box that the Pitman arm mounts on, it should not have movement other than rotational and as stated above check your ball joints too.

Back