• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

replacing cracked manifold

rosco

NAXJA Forum User
I am selling my 98 jeep cherokee but first i want to replace the cracked exhaust manifold. will there be any issues with passing emissions with this manifold? http://www.carpartstoyourdoor.com/jeepman9199.htm
the guy thats buying the jeep wants the cracked manifold fixed first and he worries about it not passing emissions with me doing the work as apposed to the dealership.
It looks like a good replacement as there is a lifetime warranty and its cheap. is it very hard to remove and install a new manifold?

I don't see why the manifold would make a difference. Just be sure to follow the proper torque pattern and do it to spec to prevent leaks. First time it'll probably take around 4 hours give or take an hour, I've got it down to about 90 minutes, using a shitty gasket and having to replace it right after I put it on was a lesson well learned. Go buy a fel-pro gasket and toss the one that comes with the manifold (if it does come with).

I just replaced the exhaust manifold in my 89 XJ with the Renix and it wasn't too bad. My renix motor has a lot more vacuum tubes and other things that had to be unplugged verses my 92 with the HO 4.0. Once I removed things I did find that my motor mount on the driver's side under the air cleaner was completely shot and in two pieces. It's no wonder the exhaust manifold was broken around all three of the rear exhaust tubes going down to it. It took me about 6 hours, but it was my first time every replacing an exhaust manifold and I replaced the entire exhaust behind it as well.

Back